XXIII

[olajide olatunji]

The thud of my head bashing against a car door snapped me from my seemingly dark dazed state. A searing brightness from dancing lights outside forced my eyelids open but gained nothing but a melancholy gasp from my dry lips.

We must have hit a bump in the road.

What the fuck is happening?

Where the fuck am I?

I chocked dramatically for another breath, encouraging myself to realise the dryness of my mouth and the agonising ache of my body squished into the backseat of such a small car. Quickly, I squirmed in a bid to remove myself from this uncomfortable position on the leather seats that I'd seemingly been glued to by, what I can only assume was sweat and tears.

God forbid it be anything but that...

For a moment, nothing made sense and the internal panic of unknowingness crawled harshly up my throat and finally out my mouth.

"Where the fuck? W-wha-t is... who? Where am I?" I chocked, stinging my insides to say.

It wasn't till now I noticed a pair of eyes studying me closely from the front seat. A set of eyes I knew well and sought comfort in but found nothing but fear and sadness swirling within them uncontrollably.

"It's ok. You fell asleep. We are almost there." He managed, his slight Indian accent audible between shaky words.

It was obvious the smaller boy had been crying, pathways caressing his tan cheeks, the trails of tears that once burned his innocent face. He was quick to turn away from me and focus his attention on the road ahead once more as I looked at him in fear, a troubled look plastered along my features.

Josh was driving. He remained silent and emotionless, like he was encapsulating his own concern for the sake of the trembling boy beside him and, well, me. I could tell he was hurting from the colour of his knuckles that gripped the wheel desperately.

In a moment of compassion, Josh extended a hand and clasped it around Vik's small one. Earning a gentle smile from Vik. Josh only briefly smiles back before turning his attention to the road, yet his hand remained on Vik's.

Vik seemed to melt into Josh's touch. Calmed by the older boys sincerity and composure.

I hadn't even realised my rapid breathing as I sat upright in the backseat, gulping for air that seemed to dissipate at a drastic rate. I was still confused.

Almost where? I thought to myself.

"where? Almost, almost where?" I replied merely minutes after, distress clearly hoarding my body.

"Hospital. Simon's been in an accident, remember, JJ?" Josh monotonly responded.

Fuck sake.

Everything rushed back to me at the drop of a hat and suddenly I'm in tears again. Screaming and crying like a child but I just can't help it.

Fuck, anyone but him. But the boy I love so desperately.

Anyone but the beautiful soul who deserved the world.