III

[Simon Minter]

"AND THEN, the girl had the nerve to tell me that...." Amelia continued to gossip about something that happened to her, whilst we sat in Nando's waiting for food.

I wasn't listening, honestly. The story seemed completely pointless and her situation could have been quite easily resolved, well at least from what I heard anyway.

I was too busy thinking about JJ, yet again. I can't pretend like I didn't see him settle onto the grass in defeat and what seemed to be a flick of sadness as I began to pull out of the car park. I truthfully wanted to stop the car and run over to him. But, when I looked over to the excited girl beside me, I couldn't have.

I felt guilty too as I watched him hang his head slightly. My mind taking flash backs to his exact figure and the depressed glimpse he appeared to have. I knew as well as he did that we always did this together after a football video. He and I got Nando's together. This is the first time I've been without him.

It sounds stupid, but I really miss him, y'know?

If he was here we'd be laughing.

We'd be having great banter.

He'd give me hugs.

then I'd pick on him.

We'd laugh some more.

And I wouldn't be bored out of my mind because 'Beth did this or Lily did that.'

JJ always made me smile.

I stared down at my drink, swirling it round the hunks of ice with my straw, occasionally flicking my eyes up to her and nodding or saying things like 'yeah' or 'uh huh' to seem as if I was listening.

At this point most girls would have been like 'I know your not listening' and then the guy would have had to make something up, but the moment never did come from Amelia. She seemed to believe my fake attentiveness to her pointless gossip story.

I kept tapping my foot, I was ready to leave. Nando's was extremely busy therefore our takeaway seemed to take years.

Mind you, our order was rather large. We had to feed 7 boys and 2 girls after all.

Finally the cashier dude saved me from Amelia and her gossip.

"Order 74!" He called a hint of stress evident in his voice as it cracked lightly after saying '4'.

I don't blame the guy.

I jolted up from my seat and practically ran to the counter. Amelia jumped at the abruptness of my movements and chocked on her last word a little bit, furrowing her eyebrows and slowly following after me.

I grabbed all the food that I could and Amelia took the rest. I thanked the guy and walked out faster than ever.

Thank god. Thank god. Thank god.

"Si! Wait! Why the rush? You didn't get to hear the end of my story either!" Amelia called as she caught up to me.

I was now fiddling to find my keys and trying to balance 5 bags of food at the same time.

"I'm hungry... and.... I have to edit so that's gonna take forever so I wanna get it done asap. Now c'mon. It's already 6:30!" I made up and rushed pretty much the entire excuse.

I wanted to get home and eat.

And
Most importantly I wanted to go home to JJ.
•••••••