XVI

[Simon Minter]

As if the sky were my mood ring, dark rolling clouds billowed into sight, demolishing the crisp blue sky that would have made for a stunning day which you don't typically get in London.

A Smokey haze settled on the city skyline and dissolved the tops of all the tall buildings that congested the place.

I sighed as anxiousness riddled me, tapping my hand on the wheel. So at least then something was consistent in my life.

As I drove along, I looked out for any sign of him... anything.

I came to an intersection just down the road from the house, that looked straight onto the park. I knew he often went there when he needed to clear his head. He claimed it was peaceful and calm, however, I have to disagree as I can't deal with constant movement of traffic and people.

My heart skipped at the thought of him being here, so I turned and found a parking spot, jumping out of my car after finally deciding to take a walk and see if he'd wondered off somewhere which wouldn't be much of a surprise honestly.

A cool breeze made me shudder as I walked along the path that essentially does a lap around the park. The grass a deep green, trees rustling in the gentle winds. Not many people populated the area except for a few people in the dog park and joggers here and there. Okay... I have to give it to him, it is sort of peaceful even walking around with a head that is buzzing.

About 8 minutes pass and I've completed a whole lap of the park, even the secret track to the pond, but there's not a single sign of the boy. Sighing, my feet carried me toward my car.

Where could he be?

Well, I mean he could be anywhere. It is London and hell is this city big when looking for JJ.

As I reach my red Range Rover I feel a cold drop of water on my nose. And then another.... and another. Pretty quickly it started to pour and a jumped into my car as quickly as possible, shaking from how cold I now was.

I really should have worn sweat pants because these shorts ain't doin' shit. Goosebumps consumed most of my body. Switching on the car, heat from the ac starts to help me warm up but as I pull out of the parking lot, shivers run down my spine.

Wish, whoosh, wish, whoosh.

The sound of the window wipers going and pushing the little droplets out of my view rang through the car. I glanced to my phone that was now sat on the passenger seat, it started to go off and as I sat there, dusted with rain, damp hair and cold, I contemplated picking it up just in case it was him. Just maybe.

I shook my head returning my gaze to the wet road ahead. I wasn't going to answer it, it could wait. Soon, I spotted a place that became vividly familiar. When I saw the red and blue colored diner, a smile enlightened my face. I remember here. Well, I remember what happened here.

The sky continued to thunder down rain whilst I found a park just up from 'maylee's diner', his favorite place.

I didn't want to get out yet as the rain was coming to no halt anytime soon. I exhaled looking around at the grayness that danced along the city.  So I grabbed my phone, hoping that maybe it was him.

Heart sinking in my chest as I realized I barely even spoken or really cared about this person in the past week.

2 missed calls from Amelia
1 voice mail
5 texts

I furrowed my eyebrows, rolling my eyes slightly. I just wanted to see JJ and I was hoping, praying, he would be here. Amelia was the least of my worries right now. I opened my phone and sent her a quick but blunt text.

To Amelia: Sorry. can't talk. I'm busy, Bye
    Sent.

Just as I finished that, the rain slowed a little bit and I took that opportunity to get to the diner. I put my keys and phone in my pocket and jumped out, locking the car and making a dash for it.

Soon the I was opening the door and into the much warmer diner, soaking wet. I'm pretty sure you cloud see a puddle beneath me.

The place smelt amazing and I could have melted into the incredible scents. Cinnamon and chocolate wafted through the place making me feel a lot more comfortable despite the fact I was sopping wet that even my hair was struggling to stand up properly and droplets ran down my face. The lightning was dim but the windows provided some elegant lighting as they looked out to the morbid street that screamed for more sunshine. Tearing my attention away from the treacherous London roads, my eyes scanned the diner until they landed on a figure that made me want to burst out of both happiness and sadness.

Sat in the far corner, staring blankly out the window was JJ. Wearing a black t-shirt with a white jacket over top and black and white shorts, he made a toothy smile grace my lips.

I slowly walked toward him until I was stood right beside the table and scooted into the booth opposite him. The seats gleamed a bright red, like those in the movies. In fact this diner reminded me of one that came out of a movie. He barley noticed as he continued to look out the window, absorbed in his own thoughts and I could feel a surge of both fear and pain radiate from him as the gloomy weather glare illuminated features on his face and it made my heart hurt but I was also so flustered that he was here, that he was in front of me. This was the first time I'd been this close to him in days even if we were ages apart.

"JJ?" I whispered so softly I didn't think he'd hear me.

He jumped as his gaze grabbed mine and his eyes widened.

"Simon. W-what are you doing here?" He whispered back, eyes connecting with mine.

He looked so... lost. My smile disappeared but his eyes stayed studying my face. I kept my eyes on him, breathing heavy as if I'd just run a marathon. He sighed after a few moments tearing his eyes away from me.

"JJ, look I'm sorry th-" I began quickly getting cut off.

"It's okay. Your not to blame." He spoke softly exhaling as he turned his body to fully face me yet he held his head down to look at the light wooden table.

My hands rested on the table in front of me and I looked away, watching a young couple giggle as they shared a shake two booths down from us.

Suddenly something grabbed my hands, smooth and gentle. Making a spark explode inside my stomach.

I looked back to see him grinning goofily at me to which I returned the favor. I felt so flustered yet happy. His hands cupped mine, relieving them of the icy temperatures. His touch sent warm shivers through my body and I wanted the feeling to last forever.

"You soaking and cold. Here." His voice was smooth as he took his hands away from mine, then taking off his jacket and handed it to me across the table.

"N-no. I'm fine. Really." I stammered, goosebumps still pricked my skin and he could see that.

"Simon. Please, the last thing I want is for you to freeze." He cooed but a firmness ring in his tone.

I shook my head and took the jacket out of his outreached hand, to which he smiled, and I slipped in on over my soaking wet jumper that clung to me. Instantly I felt warmth but I'm not entirely sure that it was because of the jacket.

"Thank you, Jide." I said softly, pulling the large jacket round my figure.

Drops of water continued to drop from my hair every now and then, a silence rained between the two of us. Comfortable silence.

"I missed you." His words lingered as he gazed off, it felt as if a part of him broke when he said it, voice cracking slightly.

Something was wrong.

Well, I was aware something was wrong because it has been for almost a week, but something else was really wrong.

"JJ, what's wrong?"

"What you don't know, won't hurt you."

"JJ, please!"

"I'm sorry, I can't put your life in any more danger."

"What? What do you mean?"

"I wish I could tell you, I really do."