02 | covered in silver

Start from the beginning

Roseanne practically jumped at the buzzing in her pocket. Grabbing her phone out and gushing at the caller iD. "Ali!" She greeted happily. Loud enough where Alice had to scramble to reduce the volume on her device.

"Rosie!"

"Did you get my voicemail?" She questioned, slightly cupping her hand around her phone to shield it from the sound of oncoming traffic.

"Yes I did!" Alice replied. "I can't believe you two kissed again! My little sister has some moves." The both of them chuckled. "Ahhh! It's going to go so well tonight! I already know it Rosie!"

She grinned from ear to ear as her sister continued. Yet for some reason, cars seemed to be having an intense honking battle from the street beside her. Roseanne glanced to her right, yet noticed nothing out of the ordinary. So she cupped the phone closer to her ear and interrupted her sister, whom had already continued with chatting.

"Wait Ali... I can't hear you. Cars keep honking and I don't kn-"

Suddenly, it was as if all the air in her lungs was sucked out at such a rate, it left her muscles aching. Her vision went black while the feeling of being pushed down so forcefully by chilled wind made her feel as if she was trapped in ice.

Then it stopped.

Everything stopped.

Alice's eyes widened as she pulled the phone away from her ear. Whatever honking she had previously been hearing from Rosie's end, and chalking up to the daily commuters, turned into a sound she'd prayed she'd never have to hear.

Loud yelling of unintelligible voices shouting came soon after it. Shuffling of shoes and engine noise drowned everything else out. Everything just, stopped. The air stilled around her, as she waited for her sister to come back to the phone.

And waited...

"Rosie?" She called. The shouting of distressed voices getting louder. Matching perfectly with the extreme, anxiety filled pumping of her blood. It pounding in her ears. "Rosie!" Alice cried into the line, several of her workmates turning from their desks to eye her worriedly. "Roseanne! Are you alright?!"

And after what felt like an eternity, but in reality was only several more seconds, maybe a minute... Alice could pick up the faint sounds of sirens.

While Roseanne was left in nothing.

She couldn't see, couldn't hear, and she couldn't feel the ground beneath herself anymore. All she knew was she existed in a space that now felt foreign. Yet then, slowly, as if the universe knew what she was thinking, her vision began being put back together pixel by pixel. Her fingertips feeling the weight of the pavement underneath them again.

She was lying with her cheek to the ground, squinting as she lifted her eyes from the sidewalk and then herself. Sitting now, she realized how scared she felt, but was more so confused by the events that just transpired.

After a moment, she gained enough confidence to look around. Noticing cars continuously passing her by, without a care in the world to her presence. There wasn't even any of that mindless honking that was driving her mad just a minute before. Only people, making their way to and from whatever destinations.

Did she just... faint?

Roseanne stood up, a bit wobbly, and began studying her surroundings. To be expected, there was no sign of anything being out of the ordinary? Sure there was a little debris in the road, or a couple metal scraps nestled in the grass beside her. But that was normal for this road, normal for any street in Melbourne.

Then, as if dawning on her in this disoriented state, she remember she was conversing with Ali over the phone. Immediately Roseanne squatted low on the sidewalk and looked for her cell, that most likely still had her sister connected on the other end of it. Roseanne feeling slightly embarrassed for possibly fainting and now, looking like a fool who didn't know where her stuff had gone.