18 | ghosts and ghouls

The corners of Elijah's lips curved upwards before he put a hand on his chest and gawked

The corners of Elijah's lips curved upwards before he put a hand on his chest and gawked. "Well goodness... don't have to say my name like it's such a bad thing dearie."

Vanessa glanced back at her, still holding her defensive position. "Uh... Is it a bad thing?"

She patted Ness's arm, smiling softly at the reluctance her newfound friend had in relaxing her stance between them. "Do you remember that demon I mentioned I knew earlier?"

Vanessa's eyes grew. Shifting from her to Elijah. "No way..."

"I'm afraid it's true mate." Elijah slicked back his hair. "Unless Roseanne said anything along the lines of me being an un-cool or flat out ugly guy. Even the great God himself knows I'm too sexy to handle. That's why he sent me down. Knows I like it hot." He winked.

Vanessa's eyebrow lifted. "Man... get a load of him, huh?" She chuckled. "Yeah... no wonder I don't have to worry. Only lame ass dudes in cheap suits say shit like 'un-cool'."

Roseanne chuckled when Elijah's smile dipped.

"I'd be careful before you forget who you're talking to... still a demon and all. But fortunately for you I like a feisty woman, so it's a pleasure." Elijah stuck out his hand, shaking hers. "I think we're going to get along just fine."

Vanessa stepped back to her after the exchange and they both glanced to one another as Elijah continued grinning.

"So what are we up to tonight, ladies? Hitting the town?"

"Actually..." She began. "I was looking for Yeri. Have you seen her?"

"That would be a no. If I knew where she was I would be where that was is right about now. Seeing I've been looking for her all bloody night as well."

"Your friend seems difficult to find." Vanessa commented as they began walking down the street once more. With an animated Elijah wedging himself between them.

"Well the girl is fairly popular but I think it truly stems from her being so damn short she blends in too the crowds a little too much. She's a damn leprechaun."

"I gotta admit, I didn't anticipate demons being ones to go around bullying others on their size. I expected something more... I don't know..."

"Sinister?" Elijah raised a brow in Vanessa's direction, smile in tow. "No no no, and I for one am not 'bullying' anyone, at least no one of the non-living. Children though, can't say I go as nicely on them."

"You scare kids?" She wondered, Elijah turning to her and frowning.

"Come on gorgeous, I'm still a demon after all and I have to do my duty somewhere. Besides, most the young ones can already see me so it doesn't take much to give them a fright." He shrugged.

"We demons are tasked with making sure the humans remember we exist, after all." He continued casually. "Sometimes I go out of my way to frighten the adults too, but I often just try to fill my weekly quota as easily as possible so I can lay back and lounge in all my demonly-handsomeness."