20 | shadows

There was a change in the air, and Roseanne would be naive to think it wasn't between Lisa and herself

There was a change in the air, and Roseanne would be naive to think it wasn't between Lisa and herself. Ever since their initial visit with Chunhua a couple of weeks ago, she'd noticed the change in Lisa's demeanor.

For better and for worse.

To her, it seemed Lisa was unconsciously forming new daily habits. Ones where she was putting her unseen roommates happiness above her own. Lisa would ask her if she'd like to watch something, or see if there was ever a particular song she'd missed listening to. All while a dark cloud seemed to loom over the frizzy blonde's head.

It wasn't like the cloud that had been there before, when she'd miss her father. It came off differently than that. Lisa felt blue, when she typically gave off yellow. Sure, the yellow had been pale in color, softer, more vulnerable. But Roseanne could sense how bright it would become when Lisa would talk about her dad, and how much she had loved him...

The cloud that had shrouded Lisa before was much darker, a tidal wave of booze and heartache. One where the storm had thankfully subsided, after they had began interacting with one another more. Lisa's known of her existence for close to a month now, and that clearly meant something, seeing that the storm had passed.

It made her think that she could be for Lisa, what Lisa was for her. A distraction from the pain... and a rather decent one, at that.

Sure, it was sad to think that way. That all they were potentially doing was pushing their feelings off to the side. Burying them deeper. But maybe they could whip out the shovels together later, after Lisa's able to finally see her. Because she will be able to, one day. She knows it.

Or at least, she hopes.

And now she couldn't help but think how much the frizzy blonde sleeping in the other room hopes so too. Lisa didn't have to say it aloud for Roseanne to know just how much it's been on the other woman's mind. It was in those new habits of hers. Her questions, her responses, her... smiles... every time they talked.

Her eyes... her laugh...

She glanced towards the kitchen. Catching sight of thin smoke as it rose, trailing its heavenly scent behind. The vanilla relaxing her mind in all the right ways, and her smile growing at the memory of Lisa fumbling through the door with it.

Roseanne had felt rather sad herself that day, when Lisa had said she wanted to take a walk... alone. She wasn't sure why, and a part of her was worried she had done something wrong. But Lisa had told her it was okay, that she just wanted to clear her head and that she'd be back soon.

Her assumption was that it had something to do with Lisa's blue mood, but when the Thai came back with a grocery bag and smile, Roseanne wasn't so sure anymore. Because Lisa got her their own incense holder and sticks, and shrugged like it was no biggie. Reciting only, "I wanted to do something for you" before she lit it and walked away. Leaving her to stare in her wake as she left to plop herself on the couch.