14 | the halloween spirit

Over the course of the next few days, Lisa had became acutely aware of her growing paranoia

Over the course of the next few days, Lisa had became acutely aware of her growing paranoia. Her grandmother's oddity's from the other day still plaguing her mind, and now making her believe that somethings might not always be as they seem.

At first, she had thought the elderly Thai could be going crazy. I mean, what grandmother sends their twenty-one year old granddaughter thousands of dollars? But then she remembered the words she used, the phrasing, the way even Lisa could sense something around her.

Her grandma believed to have been speaking to someone when Lisa was retrieving the crystal necklace, and warning them not to harm her. And Lisa would have never believed to have been in danger, as she doesn't believe in such, unworldly things...

Maybe before she would have laughed and said no, but now? Now was a different story. Because now, Lisa always slept with an eye open. Peeked around every corner. Always looking. Searching for anything out of the ordinary that could lead her to believe what she didn't want to admit.

That her grandmother could have been speaking to a ghost.

The thought felt so silly, but it was the only liable explanation Lisa could tell herself for her grandmother's actions that day. She had even googled the meaning of the crystal she was given, only for the answers to further solidify her ideas of spirits and ghouls.

And of course, all of this questioning and uncertainty had to be taking place during the last week of October. Today, being the day where her paranoia was at an all time high.

Halloween.

She had been telling herself to ignore it all day, the sensation. It clung to her, wheres in the past it had came and gone. Yet the persistent sensation wasn't the only thing she had been ignoring, because all day the lights have decided to have a mind of their own.

It started when she had first entered the kitchen earlier, the light overhead flicking on before she had even reached for the switch. The most bizarre thing about the experience was that the switch was fully switched on, leading Lisa to believe it wasn't some electrical malfunction, but someone's (or something's) actual doings.

There always seemed to be strange occurrences on Halloween...

But as the day progressed, and other lights began to blink and flicker wherever she went, Lisa relinquished herself into ignoring the tingling on the back of her neck. Deciding to pass the instances off as the Halloween heebie-jeebies. Or else she'd sink deeper into paranoia and madness.

"I'll just have an electrician out to survey the unit." She had told herself whilst heading out to buy some last minute candy for the potential trick-or-treaters. Not really sure if any of her neighbors had children, since she rarely ever saw any, but wanted to be prepared nonetheless.

And unknown to her, Roseanne had followed Lisa all the way to the store and back. Remaining rather chipper as she noticed people parading around the streets in their costumes. A part of her wished to join in, especially after seeing other ghosts among the streets. A rare sight, since they usually hid under bridges or surrounding the places where they themselves had passed away.