19 | tether

The sun was beginning to crest the endless ocean by the time Mason and herself had completed their walk around the distant marina and beach

The sun was beginning to crest the endless ocean by the time Mason and herself had completed their walk around the distant marina and beach. The shopkeepers who liked to begin their day at dawn were slowly filling the streets as others commuted to and possibly from work.

Roseanne watched as two women walked closely beside one another and sat at a bench not far from them. Sipping their coffees and chatting about their previous day as if two ghosts weren't watching them bring their steaming cups to their lips with envy.

"I've always been a bit more partial to juice but man... what I'd do for a coffee." She sighed.

"I'd even take one." Mason chuckled. "Black of course. The only right way."

"That's horrendous."

"No way mate! It's how coffee was made to be ingested."

"Who says?"

"A... uh, lot of people!" Mason fumbled. "Come on, they say it's way healthier and gets rid of all the artificial bleh stuff."

She laughed. "But that's the best part! It's music to the taste buds."

"You galah." He laughed. "Didn't know one could taste sounds... but man, I'd still take one right about now." Mason paused for a moment. "You know, all this coffee talk is reminding me of some new Internet cafe I saw go up along the way. Seemed pretty cool."

Her eyes must have grown a size and she quickly glanced away from Mason and back towards the lulling waves. Trying hard to let the memories of what transpired in what was probably the very same cafe pass. "Yeah... I think I know the one." She squeezed her hands together as she took in the sight of the sunrise as it crossed the water.

"Yeah?" Mason asked attentively, coming around her front. "Would you want to maybe check it out with me?" He then frowned at her appearance. "Something's the matter, what's up?"

"Memories." She admitted without much thought. "I... I went there for the first time yesterday, with Lisa. It's... one of the places where I got a little too emotional and made the lights go crazy."

"Not too keen on going back there huh?"

"Not really. I kind of made a scene. Even Lisa got pretty upset with me, for a little while."

"Did something happen between you two?" Mason wondered. "I know, kind of a dumb question considering she can't even see you. I mean what could happen... unless, something did? And I'm rambling for nothing."

"No you're right, nothing happened between Lisa and I." Her anxiety began dissipating at the thought of her night with the Thai, until the memory of what got them to where they were now resurfaced. "It was... something else..."

Something where even though it broke her, it only helped to propel her and Lisa in whatever direction this odd friendship was going. To drive them to discover a new way to communicate, after realizing their lack of being able to do so well with only a blink or two. And it was all thanks to Jennie, and her heart wrenchingly-beautiful face.