17 | conversations

Roseanne watched as Peter took his time adjusting the apron around his waist, before returning to work

Roseanne watched as Peter took his time adjusting the apron around his waist, before returning to work. He sighed quietly while starting for the register, leaving his farewell to Lisa with his spoken comment.

"I should have known... you look just like him."

She hadn't anticipated his words to hit as hard as they did. Her heart immediately pining at the images of the young man and his little look alike whose faces were still adorning the walls within the city-centered apartment. Two bright smiles that have been wiped away. Like rain on the windshield of a running car.

Roseanne composed herself and offered Peter a quick yet unseen wave before she left to seek out the not-so-little Lisa, whom was standing not too far from the shop's entrance. Her head hung low as she stared at the contents of the bags, body supported by a lamppost she leaned a shoulder on.

As she approached, she could hear the quiet sniffs, even the pauses between Lisa's breaths as her hands shook faintly. Only all forms of grief seemed to stop when her presence must have been felt, since Lisa quickly dried her nose with her jacket sleeve and made a poor attempt to look up.

"Took you long enough..." The frizzy blonde mumbled under breath as she fixed her bangs. After her eyes scanned their surroundings for a moment, she returned her fixation to the pavement again. Pushing off the lamppost, she began her quiet trip back to the apartment as Roseanne watched on, wishing she could make things better.

Remaining just as silent, she followed Lisa down the moderately busy street, thankful she didn't have to step aside or plan a path around someone like Lisa had to. The frizzy blonde had to keep glancing up and switching the hand she held the bags in as she walked. Obviously the heavy paint can she had bought was putting some weight on her arms.

But luckily for her, they were quickly approaching the bustling city center that housed the apartment they've both found themselves unspokenly and rather accidentally, referring to as home. Lisa readjusted her grip as she climbed the steps to the lobby door, swinging around to push it open with her back and entering wordlessly.

The Thai spared a glance to the counter and noticed the landlord's back was turned and facing the screen behind him. She released a silent sigh of relief and kept the bag close as she made her way to the elevator doors, only for the bags to brush against her thigh. She winced at the sound and unfortunately, it must have prompted him to turn around and see if he was needed because soon her name was being called.

"Oh, Lalisa! Could you wait a moment?"

She stopped in her tracks and bit at the inside of her cheek, making a conscious effort to pull out her phone to check the time as she turned to him. "Oh, uh, I kind of have some things I gotta do..."

"It'll only take a minute." He beckoned her over and quickly went to switch off the screen. The news anchor from whichever channel talking about some donation event being held at a nearby hospital, for a patient stated comatose.