16 | questions answered

The silence was almost numbing

The silence was almost numbing. Her tears had dried to her cheek as she stared at the unlit bulb. She was so sure it could have been him. So wishful. But those thoughts now stung as she registered the fact the light blinked twice.

The answer was no.

And now, she was left with the knowledge that this spirit was unknown. A stranger. Living in her father's apartment... which now belonged to her.

"Guess it was foolish of me..." She sniffed, finally looking away from the bulb. "... to think he could still be here."

Roseanne watched on. Quiet. Afraid of making the frizzy blonde anymore hurt than she already was.

"He's in a better place now... I suppose. But you're not." Lisa's eyes snapped up, looking around the room. "No... you're still here. Why is that?"

Her question nearly sounded like a threat. Roseanne felt so small in the room, even though she was the one standing. Lisa's stern, beaten tone made sure of that. Though, of course, she wasn't afraid. She was sad. Sad that a moment like this was the one that had Lisa showcasing more emotions than Roseanne's ever witnessed.

Aside from her troubling phone calls.

The Thai wiped her eyes and sucked in a chilled breath. "So... you're just a ghost who decided to make me your roommate, huh?"

Roseanne was timid to answer, but she raised a hand to the bulb anyways.

One blink.

"A nice ghost though." Lisa reiterated. "Just... left behind... and wanting company?"

Another blink.

"Well isn't that wonderful?" Lisa feigned a smile. "Seems like you got what you wanted... while all I want is my dad back."

And just like that, the tears returned. But Lisa didn't stick around for her to bare witness to them anymore. She stood and wiped them off with the innards of her shirt.

"You want to be nice?" Lisa glared about the room. "Then haunt the man who killed my father." Then Lisa left swiftly; a door shutting in the distance while Roseanne stood wide eyed. Her mind processing things she couldn't quite make sense of.

Lisa's father, he didn't just die... he was killed. And by the sound of it... on purpose. Someone killed him. Someone took his life away from her. The thought alone was enough to make her feel every emotion in the book, except she truly only cared for those of the Thai in the other room.

~

She quietly walked down the hall, the sound of her feet shuffling the only noise present. Besides the ticking of an old clock.

Lisa found herself in the kitchen, with that very same clock reading two in the morning as she opened the closest cabinet from it. Reaching within for a can to heat, she felt a stillness surround her. It wasn't as cold as before; didn't lift the hairs on her arms, but it wasn't warm either.