can i have your daughter for the rest of my life

title: rude - MAGIC!

elle's POV

-------------------------

i don't know why i thought billie was going to propose tonight. i guess it was just a weird hunch. and i definitely would've said yes. we're in the perfect place right now. elizabeth is healthy, my book is doing amazing, her album just dropped, so many reasons. maybe she's not ready yet. i just assumed she was. i probably shouldn't have. we're only 19. but i guess i thought that wouldn't matter. i bet she's just waiting a little. maybe i should propose. she's at an interview right now that i wasn't able to go to so this should be a good time to call patrick.

i take out my phone and call him. "elle, it's fantastic to hear from you!" patrick answers. "hey patty. i'd love to say i called just to check in but there's actually something i want to ask you" i start. "well go ahead" he tells me. "i want to ask billie to marry me, but i need yours and maggie's blessing before doing so." i explain. "you definitely have my blessing, and i'm positive you have maggie's as well. would you like to speak with her? i've got her right here" he answers. "that's amazing, i'd love to speak with maggie" i say with a wide smile. "elle?" maggie's voice asks. "yes, it's elle. it's lovely to hear your voice. i must ask you something. do i have your blessing to ask your daughter to marry me?" i ask. "oh my god! yes! absolutely! one hundred percent!" she exclaims. "thank you maggie, you won't regret it" i tell her. "and i must say, i don't know many people that still ask for the parent's blessing anymore. i really appreciate that. i'm sure you knew we'd say yes but you still asked and that's very kind of you" patrick adds. "no problem. i wanted to make sure it'd be alright with you" i explain. "thank you elle. we'll talk soon" maggie says. "talk soon" i respond before hanging up. i jump up and down happily and hug my phone. 

i rush around the house to find my mum and bump into elizabeth. "woah, slow down" elizabeth giggles. "i'm gonna ask billie to marry me" i tell her with the same wide smile. "oh my god no way!" she says happily. "yep" i nod. she jumps into my arms and hugs me tightly. "you guys are gonna be so happy together" she assumes with a big smile once i put her down. "i know!" i exclaim. "oh my god i'm gonna be an aunt!" she shouts. "not yet lizzy, not yet" i laugh. "but someday right?" she asks hopefully. "definitely" i laugh. "do you know where mum is?" i ask. "she's in the den" she answers. "alright, thank you" i smile and run to the den. 

"what's up?" mum asks. "i'm gonna ask billie to marry me" i explain. i see her face drop a little and a look of confusion on her face as if she's having a mental debate. "what's wrong?" i ask. "i can't um... i can't tell you." she sucks through her teeth. "all i can say is.... wait a little before you ask her. before you buy the ring even" she suggests. "do you not want me marrying billie?" i ask, furrowing my eyebrows a little. "no! i do! it's just um..... you're so young!" she tells me. "i know, but i love billie and i want to spend the rest of my life with her. and it's way harder to get a divorce than just break up" i joke. "that's true. but just please, wait a little longer. please." she begs. "okay mum. i'll wait." i agree. "thank you" she sighs in relief and hugs me. 

i don't get why she doesn't want me to ask billie to marry me yet. she knows how much i love billie and how long i've been thinking about spending the rest of my life with her. i know she said it's not that she doesn't want me marrying her, but i can't help but think that's the reason.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n: let's see if i can get this to only 55 or 60 chapters, then maybe i'll write another book