in your next life ; chapter 12

It wasn't anger- not frustration or guilt. It was shock.

"I'm gonna go."

I never expected my first love to be the person who'd been beside me all along- the person I never considered-

More than a best friend.

Lucas was the sweetest boy ever- the kind with a cold exterior, but just, sweeter than any cake we'd had together on the inside. He was the kind who'd just sit with you on a bad day- hoping his company would cheer you up. He was the kind- who'd any girl would fall for.

But my train of thoughts were wrecked as I recalled what was actually going on- I was telling Lucas about Yoona and Tae Eun.

"You've gotta go?" He looked up, puzzled. "So soon?" His eyes glistened with the setting sun, the hues of red and orange splashed into the sky as a canvas.

I couldn't help but feel it- my face heating up, probably bursting into thousands of shades of red. "I'll take you home." And with bated breath, I agreed.

  The feeling of the wind gushing against my face, softly tapping onto my hair as it flown through the back. It felt relaxing- burying my face into his back. But my heart couldn't feel the same way, palpitating against my ribcage.

  "Hey, Athy..."

  His soft, gentle voice spoke once again.

  "I don't think I should've laughed at you just now," Lucas sounded apologetic- even so, making me try to imagine the expression he had on right now. "I'm sorry, though. I'm all ears now."

  It calmed me down a little- to maybe let my mind drift away from him. "You would?"

  "Mhm."

  "Well- I guess it's just a little theory," I started with much apprehension. Every word I spoke was muffled, probably sending a buzzing feeling from behind him.

  "I can't hear you, dum dum. You're speaking into my ribs," from the small frame of vision I could access, I could see Lucas turn around for a while, raising his eyebrows and giving his usual sloppy smile again.

  I'd retreated my face from his back, "right."

  "I mean, it's maybe, a pretty stupid thing to say," I giggled a little with a soft sigh. "But what if magic really exists?"

  I'd been pondering about that for the past week. It seemed like the most plausible reason for all of it. "M-Magic?" His words started to detatch, causing him to stutter.

  He's nervous.

  "W-What do you mean magic?" He gulped. He definitely knew something. I felt suspicious- curious, to be exact. Could he have known something about our flashbacks, too?

  And so an idea hit me.

  "I know what you're hiding, Lucas."

I could feel his heart beat faster- skipping several beats at a time. I knew for sure that he was hiding something.

"R-Really?"

"I really thought you'd tell me before I had to find out myself, you know..." I tried to sound hurt, but actually feeling it a little. It felt a little bad to have him hide things from me, after all.

"I don't know- call me nosy, or something. But you don't really tell me much about yourself, you know?" I meant it.

I meant it with all my heart. I did want to get to know him more. I wanted him to open up- not like how he did becoming friends with me. I wanted him to trust me. But even so, those words caused an awkward silence.