in your next life ; chapter 3

Lucas felt the urge to run away from the school- to just run away and erase everything that'd happened. He felt embarrassed, even though only Athy'd seem him cry, it wasn't exactly the best first impression he could give to someone.

  A crybaby.

  He pulled his favourite watermelon-flavoured lollipop from his mouth, pressing his lips together as he took the flavour, knowing for sure it'd be a long day ahead as he looked out the window from his seat.

  It was lunch- and like any other lunch, the lone wolf would sit all alone by himself.

  He wasn't even sure if a quarter of his class had even seen his face before. After all, his ruby red eyes- people would see them as eyes of a demon, a devil. Even if he were hiding the fact that he was a wizard- being called a demon was the last thing he wanted.

  He could feel himself basking in the warmth of the sunlight- even though it was winter, yet something'd blocked the light.

  Not something, someone.

  "Hey, Lucas!" Lucas could feel his heart palpitating- sweat starting to drip from his forehead as he heard the familiar voice. He was still embarrassed- still guilty that he'd make her think, that somehow, she'd made him cry.

  Lucas didn't even know what came over him— he cried, with no emotions at all, even if it did hurt. But from a flash of scene? It made no sense.

  He didn't even know the girl when he was younger— he'd always been alone. No friends, no companions, no one who would have the time to talk to him. It made no sense at all for a random memory with him to appear with her in it.

No sense that she would find him on her own, either.

"Do you need something?" Lucas mumbled, lollipop still in his mouth as he continued looking out the window. "The thing is— I still haven't made any other friends yet," Athanasia sounded nervous.

"So I was wondering if I could have lunch with you," Athanasia had still been standing before him, holding onto packets of packed cake. Lucas felt surprised- shocked that someone would actually want to be with him. He looked up, face reddening at the sight of her infectious smile.

Damn it, she is a little cute.

Lucas pulled a chair from in front of him with his legs, turning it to face him. "Y-Yeah, sure."

He felt certain he was hearing whispers from his classmates. Not very pleasant ones, in fact.

"Why is she hanging out with him? Aren't they like, from totally different worlds?"

"Almost none of us have seen his face before."

It hadn't really been possible for a class to have never seen one of their sneaky, mysterious classmates before- yet still, indeed, nothing was impossible.

Lucas filtered out those comments- he knew they were out to get him. Obviously, they were jealous he'd made friends with Athanasia already and yet, he saw no use in being upset.

Athanasia put down her cakes, taking a seat in front of him as she stared down at the gleaming, fudge chocolate cakes.

"You sure eat a lot for your size," said Lucas. Athanasia's expression seemed to change rapidly to a small pout. "That's because people like you get to be tall with a lollipop for lunch."

  Lucas scoffed, looking over to the four slices of chocolate cake lying on his desk.

Must have been why her dad called her, he thought.

"So, I've been meaning to ask you," Athanasia's voice was muffled as she chewed onto the creamy, chocolate cakes, smearing chocolate all over her mouth. "Why don't you let people see your face?"

Lucas was confused, for a moment. Why would there be a need for him to? They'd just call him evil- or a devil, red eyes were eyes of demons, no?

"People wouldn't like what they'd see."

But even so, what'd she said next surprised him for sure.

"I think you're beautiful, though. I love red eyes," she chirped. Lucas could feel his chest tightening, face heating up as he felt a weird sensation. As if it felt warm and fuzzy in his chest.

He put on a front, pulling forward his hoodie even more to cover his eyes as he reached out a hand, grabbing a piece of cake she'd placed on his table. "Are they really that good?"

"Best ones from Daddy."

And that— was the start of countless classroom cake-lollipop lunches.

; A/N ;
SQUEEE im sorry im so late- writer's block siiigh but i hope you guys like this chapter! if you've liked itt,, i reeally would appreciate a vote or comment, or if you have any feedback, feel free to comment! see y'all next week!! <33