in your next life ; chapter 9

ATHANASIA POV

  "Hey, Lucas?" I fiddled with my fork, poking into the fudgy, chocolate cake before my eyes. "I wanna ask you something."

"Ask away."

"Have you ever had a girlfriend?" The words escaped my mouth like it was normal as I looked up- seeing his face flushed in red. It told me all I needed to know. "Do I look like I could even get one?" He scoffed.

"Considering," I breathed. "That all those girls are staring at you?"

Lucas turned to the long table, where a group of middle schoolers stared at him. They'd immediately looked away, all cupping their cheeks and squealing. I burst into giggles, turning back to him.

"That doesn't mean anything."

"It means you're handsome," I spoke, stuffing my face with cake as he watched in bore.

"It doesn't mean anything- you're pre-"

I could've sworn I'd heard him say something, but his face was completely, beetroot red as I stared into his jewelled eyes. "I'm what?"

Lucas looked away. But of course, I didn't want to force him either. After all, ignorance is bliss.

"Nothing," he sighed, picking up his fork as he cut his first piece of his red velvet cake- before a sudden voice made us look up.

"U-Um," it was one of the girls from the table, who looked about 15- for a 15 year old, she was really tall- maybe almost the same height as Lucas, but with long, cherry blossom coloured hair. "I'm sorry to bother you guys, but..."

"...are you guys celebrities?"

I could feel my throat rejecting the cake as Lucas spat his water out, bursting into laughter. I felt bad for laughing- but it really was funny.

"Sorry," I'd finally calmed down as Lucas was still chuckling. "We're not, we're just high schoolers," I beamed, trying to be as friendly as I could.

I could see the disappointment- but awe in the girl's eyes as she apologised and returned to her table. "B-By the way, my name is Hana- and I-I'm an aspiring webtoon artist- I thought I'd mistaken you guys for Korean Drama celebrities- I'm so sorry!"

"It's fine, it's pretty cool to have your passions," Lucas put down his cup, picking up his fork again as he stuffed a piece in his mouth, saying, "I'm Lucas, and she's Athanasia."

"Athanasia? Like the Athanasia in Who Made Me A Princess?!"

I could see a twinkle in her eyes spark- but never would I have thought that people'd actually read the book- after all, it was pretty unpopular, no matter how good it was. "Yup!"

"They still haven't released the rest of the names," she proceeded to say. It was a special and unique trait of the book- that they'd wanted to wait till the right time to release all the names of the characters other than Athanasia. "But I never thought you guys would've read it too!"

"Oh- I've gotta run," she ran a hand in her hair. "Hope to see y'all around!"

It was a nice encounter, if I had to be honest- Hana was real friendly.

"Back to the topic," I was down to my last piece of cake. Squinting my eyes at it, I'd cut it into even smaller pieces, but still finished them in two mouthfuls.

I could feel myself puffing my cheeks in a pout as I stared at the emptied plate, before I felt a pain on my forehead- of course, I wasn't surprised Lucas flicked my forehead.