in your next life ; chapter 7

"I would say thank you, but," Lucas breathed, squinting his eyes with a skeptical look. "I've got mixed feelings about that, Athy."

  I could feel my face burst into several shades of red- the warmth of being in that awkward just-kissed position causing sweat to dot my forehead. It was confusing, after all. On second thought, it wasn't. It was normal to be flustered after kissing your best friend- except that I was thinking of it like it was normal.

  Lucas' ruby red eyes were resplendent with the afternoon sun, his messy locks falling down to his forehead. I was beyond afraid- would he hate me?

"You guys are really gullible, you know," Lucas "pfft" could be heard, a small chuckle escaping his lips, a smart move- yet for some reason, pricking me in the conscience a little. "We've just got extra classes, Ijekiel."

His smile was adorable- his laugh seemed sincere enough to be true.

"T-Then what was that, with Athanasia," everyone seemed shocked- would a kiss really be for a joke? Even I didn't believe it.

"We're best friends," Lucas announced- declaring our best-friend zone. "Nothing more," I was released of his embrace, face still flushed. I heaved a sigh of relief that he'd known what to do- after all, kissing him was a real idiot move.

•••

"I'm sorry, Lucas," I felt a big rock weighing down my heart lifted up a little, being able to apologise for kissing him. Of course- it had been my first kiss, but maybe, it wasn't too bad at all.

"Don't sweat it- just," I could see the blush in his cheeks. "D-Don't do it again."

  For a moment, I just wanted to tease him- that head-strong, never admitting things side of him. A giggle escaped my mouth as we walked to the bicycle parking. "Anyway, back to the topic," Lucas cleared this throat. "You saw it too, right?"

  "I just wanna clarify- I would never wear those clothes in my life," he covered his mouth.

  "And I would?"

It was true- the clothes seemed like a historical drama's set outfit- not the ones with the traditional outfits, but western-historical outfits. Gowns, cloaks and all.

  "Do you have any idea what it is?"

  Lucas's expression changed drastically- and of course, to a flustered one. He's hiding something, I thought. "...so you do."

  "W-Well, it's really complicated," he started. "I'd have to go back like, a hundred years, maybe? Nah, more than that," Lucas bit his lips nervously, scanning the parking venue for his bicycle.

  "It's a story for another day, just," unlocking his bike, Lucas pulled it out and hopped on. "Tell me what you saw- I need to make sure we saw the same thing."

  It was simple to say- it was just a replica of the same scene that'd happened earlier- Lucas kneeling down to tie my shoelace.

  "I saw what you saw," I replied.

  "...you must be telepathic to know what I saw, huh?" He chuckled, patting the back seat of the bike. I hopped on, knowing we were heading to the playground again. "Okay, fine. I saw you in a cloak, and me in a gown. You were," I couldn't help but feel ashamed to say it- after all, it seemed really childish having a friend tie your shoelaces.

  "Tying my shoelace, like earlier..." I believed that the wind today was stronger- blowing against my hair, and into my mouth. And so, we decided to leave the topic for when we got to the playground.

  "It's so windy today," I whined, the hair still in my mouth. I could feel the rough ends of my hair, brushing against my gums. "I'm just going faster than usual, so hold on tight," Lucas commented as I felt the awkwardness to wrap my arms around his waist. Even so, both our lives were important- I couldn't risk me flying off and jamming his bike- maybe he would've fallen, too.

  "Don't worry too much, dum-dum," Lucas breathed. I could feel my eyebrows raise at the confusion, "you read my mind?"

  "Yeah, because I'm a magical wizard, aren't I?" He scoffed, shaking his head. "I can feel your heart beat." For a moment, I could feel my heart skip a beat- going faster and faster with my face reddening at the same speed. Burying my face into his back, I whispered, "you're the idiot here."

•••

  "This is totally random, but," said Lucas as we dangled our legs off the swings. "Why don't you make other friends too? It's been two months and, you've only made 'hi-bye' acquaintances."

  I felt curious myself- why hadn't I bothered to socialise? Even so, I felt a big light bulb blink at the top of my mind. "I've got an idea."

  "Let's both make two friends other than each other, and Ijekiel," the words escaped my mouth like bullets, aimlessly. "By the end of this week," I beamed. I could see the pout forming on Lucas's face, his eyebrows furrowing again. "That's unfair, you know."

  "...why?" I giggled. "I'm sure the girls were gonna swarm you from tomorrow."

  "And why would they?" Lucas stopped swinging, legs anchoring to the ground as he looked into my eyes, fully doubtful. "Because," I spoke.

  "You're really cute."

  I could see his eyes widen, his face reddening as we both looked away. "S-Sorry," I stammered. "I wasn't thinking."

  I could feel the heat in my face- maybe it was normal. Normal to feel so flustered after calling my friend cute. Was he cute? After all, he was more of- mysterious and handsome. What was I thinking? I grabbed my cheeks, pulling them to snap back into reality.

  "Back to the topic, now."

  "Have you had more than that?" I was confused- more than calling him cute? "More than being friends with you?" I was confused myself.

  I could him bursting into laughter- tears forming up in the sides of his eyes as he covered his mouth. "Are you an idiot?"

  I tilted my head- for some reason, a little hurt.

  "More than that scene of us tying shoelaces and all."

  I felt stupid for not knowing what he meant.

  "...no," I sighed. "How about you?"

  "Have I? I don't actually know for myself. For all I know, everything's just a dream," Lucas looked up to the sky darkening, the moon starting to make it's way up, surrounded by the twinkling stars. "What do you see in them?"

  He looked to me.

  "You."

; A/N ;
Cliffhanger!! well, kinda - a pretty long one today- i posted early so i can spend more time catching up with my studies tomorrow- >< guess who caught a fever T^T I actually rewrote this- like daaang- i actually added some drama in the original one, but then thought it would be really irrelevant to the story. But i hope you like it >< okaay you can stop reading here- but heres some stuff abt me. So the thing is- i'm not going to school tomorrow- like, i'm not skipping school but, i'm sick and usually i'd nOt wanna skip sch but i really needed a break becos i find my class really toxic :( but anyway, i'm sure it'll get better soon!

see you guys next monday <3

-eru out <3