Ch.4-Shadows in the Day

"What happened?!" Laila cried out as she ran over, taking a sleepy Nash from Jeff's arms as Talon pulled out a chair for Jeff to sit.

"A fucking ghost knight attacked me is what." Jeff groaned as he sat down, somewhat in relief but still in pain. "It gave me a run for my money.."

Laila walked to a small blue bean bag and set Nash on it to let him sleep, seeing the two glowing pieces in his hands she carefully took them and walked back over to Jeff and Talon. The blonde CP checked Jeff over, gently prodding at Jeff's back and chest. "You'll need to remove your shirt, I can get a better analysis that way."

Jeff complied and looked at Laila as she held out the red stone and orange shard. "I have no idea what they are..I was hoping you would know."

Laila gave a curious look but nodded and set them on the table, looking at the gems. Talon soon stopped and said to Jeff. "scrapes and bruises, you have pieces of glass in your back, do you feel any pain breathing?"

"Nah, just sore..the glass explains the pain." Jeff replied as Talon stepped behind him.

"Sit still ok? I need to get it out." Talon spoke as Jeff hissed when he felt Talon's cold fingers dig out the glass.

Jeff gripped the edge of his seat as he tried not to twitch, bending forward to keep the jagged glass from sinking back in. Talon carefully removed the glass piece by piece, looking at the cart of stuff they stole and asked Laila. "Laila could you grab me the first aid?"

"You got a new one?" Laila asked as she stood and dug through the food.

"Yeah, we ran out of antibacterial cream in the other one." Talon said, momentarily wiping his bloody fingers off on his pants.

"Here you go." Laila replied after a couple minutes and handed him the new kit, sitting back down and looking at the stones.

Jeff hissed as the cream was applied to his wounds, and a large square bandage being placed over it. "So you're the doctor of the family?"

"I have some medical practice, we all do." Talon answered. "Laila insisted on it, but Edan is the one that can do complex injuries like organ ruptures and broken bones."

"Is that right?" Jeff mumbled slowly feeling the pain ease and relaxed his body.

"Jeff where did you find these?" Laila asked, looking up at him skeptically.

"I went to the mansion, or well what's left, and Nash found the red stone. After he picked it up though I must have a tracker or something on it because then the knight appeared. When the knight was destroyed all that was left was that orange shard." Jeff explained briefly, pointing to the shard. "So, anything?"

"Well I don't know my rocks that well..the red one is a garnet, the orange one is only a shard, I can't tell." Laila shrugged. "We can talk to someone in the city tomorrow."

"You can just go talk to someone? Back at home only the proxies could go to town." Jeff huffed.

"We look human enough that we can get in without a problem. In fact, the only one in the group that couldn't pass off very well would be Edan and Aya." Laila said. "The only time we could pass off as humans is if we were injured or the Killer instinct takes hold of us."

"Killer instinct..I know that term it's when we go ape-shit right?" Jeff asked, snapping his fingers a bit and raising an arm for Talon to patch it up.

"Exactly, our senses enhance and our humanity or awareness drops significantly to fuel our blood lust." Laila nodded. "We can talk to someone tomorrow about it.."