Chapter Twelve

February

After only having a few weeks to train for regionals everyone was on edge. Our coach now added mandatory morning practice and dry land into the mix. Dry land is what us swimmers call doing any type of workouts outside of a pool setting. I hope all this work I put in was worth it since my shoulder and back are killing me. Besides that, I don't normally go to morning practice so Camden helped me. What I mean by helped was the two of them dragging me out of bed.

I hear my horrible alarm on my phone and press snooze, which I already have done three times before that. "One more time Laur." I say mumbling into my pillow pulling my comforter closer to me. I hate that the times when your bed is super comfortable only when you have to get out of bed.

"TIME TO GET UP!"  I hear Jamie yell loudly. She's probably tired of hearing my alarm since she complained about it yesterday.

"Little fish, if you don't get up I'm gonna get the ice water." I roll my eyes internally and wave him off. I'll be up soon, maybe. I could just say I'm sick today.

"I warned you, I'll give you one last chance to get up." Camden says and for a second I doubted him. My only response is quietly muttering just 5 more minutes.

I suddenly feel freezing cold water, with ice, drenching me and my bed. He picks me up over his shoulder grabbing swim bag and my book bag with him. "You can change in the car."

The team is on the bus and they are either quietly talking to each other, or catching up on sleep. My head laying on Camden's shoulder, we both have an earphone in a ear listening to my music and he is playing a game on his phone.

He's playing Ballz on his phone and I look up at him. "Hey can I play?" He shakes his head at me. "No, you're gonna mess me up."

"I literally have a higher score than you."

"No way, you're gonna fuck me up like last time!" He exclaims loudly making the entire bus look back at us. A few rows ahead of us, Beverley even has the nerve to turn back to me with an angry face. I pretend to wipe my face using my middle finger, she immediately turns around back in her seat.

"Hey, be nice." Camden whispers in my ear. I roll my eyes muttering okay before I begin to dose off.

~~~

Both Camden and I had times well enough for us to qualify for states. There were a few others that placed high enough in the conference to compete as well. After that all there is left to worry about is prom, finals, and graduation. I have yet to commit to a college either, even though I got into all of my top five schools.

"It was great talking to you again Lauren. Hopefully next time I see you, you'll be at my practice next term." Coach Hodger says to me.

"Thank you for the opportunity Coach Hodger." I reply.

"Please, call me Donna." She says warmly to me over the phone. We both say our goodbyes and end the call. I lay back down on my bed with my arms behind my head closing my eyes. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would consider going to an all women's college, let alone swimming in college.

Wellington College was in the middle of buck fuck nowhere, a completely different area than the beach like city here. It'd be an adventure for sure, but it definitely seemed like a place I could escape to and eventually call my new home.

I didn't notice that I would end up falling asleep but I wake up to the sound of my phone buzzing. I pick it up, squinting at the screen unlocking it.