Chapter Ten

New Year's Eve

It's been a few weeks after my mom found about Camden and today is finally the day that she will meet him. My mom decided to throw a New Year's Eve party so that it is less awkward.

Normally I am not one of those people that goes crazy for New Year's, partially for two main reasons. First being that I've been single for all 17 years of my life, the second reason being that I don't see all the hype about it. It just feels like another average day for me.

However, this year I am trying to continue being positive since Camden is excited about meeting her today. It is a little nerve wracking for me since my mom's side of the family will be to celebrate with us as well as the girls.

I am currently getting dressed since I took a quick shower. My "Pop Shit" playlist is blasting through my speakers as I finish getting ready. I decided to just keep it casual with a dark blue wool turtleneck sweater, black skinny jeans, and my white slip on vans. Before Jamie went off to the guest room to change her outfit, I let her straighten my curly hair.

*ping ping*

unknown number: Hey!

unknown number: One day I'll steal you away from Camden...

unknown number: Answer me girl? Are you ignoring me?

I read the messages feeling a little freaked out and click the power button on my phone to lock it. Not only am I a little freaked out, I'm also confused. I put down my phone leaving to make my way downstairs to help my mom do the final touches for the party.

Downstairs my mom has party favors spread out across the kitchen island while there is food platters and snacks on the dining room table. She has a holiday playlist playing on the bluetooth speakers. I see my grandma Debbie decorating sugar cookies with creative designs.

My grandma Debbie is an artist and has been known to be the crafty one. She isn't one of those grandmas that pinches your cheeks or is all in your shit about being single. Mine has always been pretty chill, has a smile on her face (but can still beat your ass), and in other words, eccentric. For instance, she is wearing gold colors since she dresses to either her mood or the current holiday if it is one.

My mom and grandma look alike as well, but just like my mother and I, they don't think that they look alike. My mom has her short brown hair tied up in a bun on the top of her head with little to no makeup on besides lipstick.

We unintentionally had matching outfits with her wearing a black turtleneck sweater and jeans on with her favorite silver ballet flats to match. "You look pretty," she says looking at me with a huge grin on her face. I walk over to them and both give them big hugs.

"Yeah, I'm trying to keep up with you these days."  I smile helping blow up balloons. A few minutes later Jamie comes downstairs looking adorable in her yellow party dress. Since she's taller than my mom and I, she starts hanging up various streamers and signs.

By the time we're nearly done blowing up all the balloons in the packet, I hear the doorbell ring. I get up before anybody else has the chance to and open the door to see Camden holding a tin of casserole. As always he looks good even in a slightly more dressed up outfit.

This is the first time I have ever seen him in something that's not super casual. He is wearing khakis, an ugly red Christmas I bought him for Christmas, and black converse with a leather jacket since it's pretty cold outside. "Hey," he says warmly to me.

"Hey." I say opening up the door wider for him.

"Come in it's cold outside!" My grandma Debbie exclaims cheerfully while Camden chuckles a bit. I close the door behind him grabbing his hand and lead him into the kitchen. "Camden, this is my grandma Debbie, and this is my mom Rene."

My grandma rushes over and hugs him tightly and I can't help but smile. "Nice to meet you you ladies."

"Oh, wow he's so polite! So much better than the last one! You can call me Debbie, grandma makes me feel old." My grandma says widening her eyes that shine with brightness.

"Nice to meet you Camden, I heard a lot about you." Mom says.

"All good things I hope." He smiles widely. "Nice to meet you as well Ms. Freeman. My mom told me to bring over some casserole as a thank you for having me over." He places the Tupperware on the counter.

"Well please tell your mother that I said thank you." She says with a smile.

Over the next few hours more of my family and the girls come by and introduce themselves to Camden. It seemed like the entire family approved and I'm so greatful about it.

On the tv, it was on the ABC station for the ball drop. There was the buzz of excitement in the room as the countdown was at 30 seconds. Camden is next to me and wraps his arm around my shoulders pulling me closer into him.

"10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2..." As soon as the tv and everyone at the party yells "one" I feel his soft lips on mine.

~~~

Camden

I park my car in the free space next to Lauren and lock it once I get out. I walk down the hall but don't pay attention to the girls that stare me down.

Matt, one of the guys from the team who I got close to is standing at my locker. Then there's Jax who's from the football team who's pretty chill.

"Sup man," Matt and I dap up and then move Jax to do the same.

"Hey."

"Don't forget about tonight." Jax says as I open my locker pulling out textbooks for my first few classes of the day.

"What's tonight?" I ask looking at them curiously.

"Guys night." Matt replies. "You know dumb guy stuff that Jax thinks is cool." He chuckles a bit.

"Sounds cool, I think. Hanging out with Lauren and the girls can be weird sometimes." I say.

"I thought you were avoiding us." Jax says.

"Nah, practice and Lauren keeps me busy. I'll see y'all later after practice." I close the locker and pat their backs.

"Later man." Matt says while I leave to my first class of the day.

A few hours later...

After practice I get dressed in a pair of gray nike joggers, a gray hoodie, and a black beanie to match. I make my way to my car driving to Matt's house. I knock on Matt's front door before opening it. "Matt, where you at?!"

"In the kitchen!" He exclaims. Matt pulls out a pizza from the oven while Jax opens the fridge and hands me a beer. "Prom is coming up ya know. Any ideas on what you're gonna do?" Matt asks.

"I didn't even think about it. It's way too much pressure. What are you gonna do for Jamie?" I ask, drinking my beer.

Jax shrugs his shoulders. "Maybe on our next date at the picnic. She's all about that sappy shit."

I take another sip of my beer trying to think of an idea. I don't want to be over the top with the lovey dovey. It's not a proposal, but I don't want to not put any effort into it.

"Hey Cam, what about at the swim meet when she's doing a flip turn? You normally cheer for her at the end of the lane so it'd be a surprise either way." Matt suggests.

I nod. "That could work."

"Enough about the girls, let's play Madden."

"Hope you're ready for this ass whopping." I say with a smile.

A/N:

Hope you liked it! As always, I'm sorry about any missed typos.

Don't forget to like, comment, and vote...no pressure.

-Taylor