Chapter 32 - The Truth Hurts

Start from the beginning

I could always read my cousin; he has become better at hiding some of his thoughts and emotions with a cold and hard exterior, but he can't hide how devastated he is for me.

"Will he be at that altar?" Lia fearfully questions with a quivering jaw.

"I don't know," he responds. His anger starts to soar as he pulls up a chair. , Sitting directly in front of me and leans his elbows on his knees. "I love you, brat. I love the fire that drives you." Dislodging the clog and his throat, his eyes narrow, "You and I are close, practically siblings, and you're my best friend. So, I'm going, to be honest, even if it hurts you."

I had hoped my tears would have dried by now, but it seems I have an endless supply on hand. My vision blurs, and the taps are left running once more. "He doesn't consider me his equal," I mumble.

"That's not true!" Petro curtly responds, "has he ever treated you as if you're beneath him? Has he ever stopped you from doing what you wanted to?"

Scanning my memories, I shake my head no. My heart starts to fall to my stomach's deepest pits, a feeling of hopelessness consumes me.

"I always knew that you would be drawn to each other. Not many men could stand by your side and survive. Raffaele is a stronger personality and could somewhat handle your impulsivity." Clenching his jaw, he grits, "But your reckless behavior leads to some damaging situations."

I remain mute as he takes my hands, squeezing. Lowering his head, he struggles to be blunt with me, even though he has never found it difficult in the past. "Your hands are freezing." He acknowledges. "In your private life with Raffaele, Mina, you're not only his equal, but you sit higher than him, and everyone knows it. In the mafia world, you're not on his level. What you did yesterday was interfering in a situation he had under control."

Shaking his head disappointedly, he advises, "We had the three of you covered. At the sound of the first gunshot, guards started closing off and surrounding the area. Tommy's two assassins were in position. When the windows lowered on the Range Rover, the boys had a clear shot. Until you jump in front."

At my cousins' words, breathing becomes painful, my lungs burn. In fact, flames engulf me, turning me to ash. What have I done?

Letting out a breath, Petros lowers his head to meet my eyes, "You need to trust him. You're not on his level. You don't know how to handle those situations. He has structured and well-thought-out plans. We all play a key role under him, and you only need to be impulsive and fight when he isn't there or until he gets to you. Do you understand?"

I vigorously nod. I understand. I do. It has never been clearer to me. I'm petrified it's too late. I'm dying with the thought it's over. Wiping my tears, I take a dreaded breath. Nora, along with Tommy and my beautiful son, walks in.

Nathan leaps out of his godfather's arms and rushes towards me. My shaky hands lift him, and I indulge in his cuddles. "Hi, baby," my voice is croaky. His beautiful green eyes meet mine, and that smile melts my heart. "I'm sorry," I have this desperate need to apologies to him.

One day those eyes and that stare of his will intimidate everyone, especially the ladies. I fight back the tears. "I love you so much," I mumble, placing a kiss on those chubby cheeks. Nuzzling his face into my chest, he yawns. It must be around lunchtime if he's sleepy. Caressing his cheek, I watch him squirm, and those eyes fall heavy.

Petro stands and motions Nora to take a seat. My cousin is always a gentleman. Smiling meekly, she thanks him and glances at Nathan before meeting my eyes. Her features painfully morph. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she opens her bag and pulls out a box, "It was my grandmother's." Nora smiles at her memories. "One of our traditions is something old and something blue." Opening the box, she reveals a beautiful decorative hairpin with a blue stone in the center. It's elegant and an antique. I'm honored she would want me to wear it.