Chapter 33 - A Fight

"Now is later," Cory said and Maya sighed.
"He called me and I told him. We wanted a full proof plan for when Gabriel freaks out and he didn't so I'm very glad. Please can we leave it like that?" Maya asked and Josh came out from the hall.

"Fast asleep next to Auggie," Josh said and Maya smiled.
"Thank you. I know you're still trying to make sense of everything," Maya said.
"No, it's fine and my own fault. I should just have picked up the phone but no. Avoid everything and everyone. I'm so sorry Maya. I can't imagine what you must have done to provide for the little guy," Josh said.
"I survived. That's all that counts," Maya said and Cory looked at her.

"Don't tell me you are going to let him be apart of Gabe's life now," Cory said.
CIf I don't then I'm no better than my own father," Maya said.
"Maya, it's okay. I'll go," Josh said and Maya grabbed his wrist.

"No. Stay. He is Gabriel's father. Not some stranger. And if you think because he didn't pick up a phone he doesn't deserve to know his son you're making a big mistake. Because that is as good as saying I can't know him because of what my father did," Maya said.
"Maya, it's not the same," Riley said.
"He didn't know about Gabriel. How was he supposed to know?" Maya asked.
"He could have picked up the phone," Cory said.
"Gabriel is and will always be a Matthews. No matter what. I'm going home. Josh, could you please go get Gabriel?" Maya asked.
"Yeah, sure," Josh said.

"Maya..."
"No. Josh is his father. And he will always be his father no matter what. Josh can give Gabriel the life my father never did give me and I am happy that he wants to be apart in his life," Maya said as Josh came into the living room with the sleepy two year old.
"Let's go," Maya said.

~

"There we go. Don't you want some help? Having a two year old can be though," Josh said after he strapped Gabriel in his car seat.
"I'll manage. Can I come see you tomorrow? Away from your family," Maya said.
"I'll text you a time and place," Josh said.
"I gotta get him home," Maya said as she climbed into the driver's seat.
"Drive safely," Josh said as Maya started the engine.
"I will. Bye," Maya said and drove off.