Chapter 1 - Maya's Birthday

Maya wakes up and immediately goes to her desk.
She looks at the calendar to reveal the date finding it's the sixteenth.
She is fifteen year old and it's also Saturday so she can't ask for anything better.
She gets dressed before going to the kitchen.

As usual her mother wasn't there but left her a note

Maya opens it as she reads it.

"Haven't forgotten. Have to work early and you were asleep. I'll see you at the Matthews for your party. Love you and happy birthday Baby Girl. Mom.

PS there is pancakes I baked. Just warm them up."

Maya smiles as she gets her breakfast and eat seconds before she receives a text.

S: Get your butt out of the bed. I have a surprise waiting for you at the Matthews.

Maya smiles as she grabs her phone and heads out of the apartment.
Shawn Hunter aka her future step-father.
Maya smiles at the thought of that knowing nothing could get better.
She walks into a apartment and gets her key out of her pocket opening the door.

"Maya!" Auggie said running to the girl giving her a hug.
"Hey Buddy," Maya said picking him up.
"Happy Birthday," Auggie said.
"Thanks Bud," Maya said putting him down.

"Hey," Shawn said.
"Uncle Shawn. What on earth did this message mean?" Maya asked smiling.

"How strong are you to pick that kid up?"
"Josh!" Maya said running into Josh's arms.
"What are you doing here?" Maya asked as she pulled away.
"He came through for the weekend. We know it's usually Topanga arranging stuff but we guys can do something as well," Cory said and Maya looked at them.
"Happy Birthday Gorgeous," Josh said giving Maya a quick hug.
"Whoa. You came through for my birthday?" Maya asked looking at Josh.
"Yeah. Your step-dad arranged it," Josh said and Maya laughed seeing her best friend.

"Peaches!" Riley said giving Maya a hug.
"Hey Riles," Maya said.
"Happy Birthday," Riley said.
"Thanks. Wow today is really going to be different, isn't it?" Maya asked.
"Yip it is. I am taking you guys to Central Park then we are going to do some stuff during the day," Shawn said.
"Who are we?" Maya asked.
"You, me, my dad, Uncle Shawn, Auggie, Josh, Lucas, Farkle, Smackle and Zay," Riley said.
"You ready?" Shawn asked.
"Yeah let's go," Maya said.

~

"You know this is crazy?" Maya asked as she sat down.

It was near lunch and Shawn decided to give the kids a break.
Maya and Josh sat down on a bench while everyone else was busy walking around the piece of grass that was in front of them.
Maya still couldn't believe everything was happening and tried to come back to earth.

"Liked it?" Josh asked making Maya laugh.
"Liked? I love it so far. It's nice getting out and spending time with you is never boring," Maya said.
"Yeah. Just don't let Shawn hear that. What is happening with wedding arrangements now?"
"They are getting married in November. Everything is already booked," Maya said.
"How are you feeling about the idea of a step-dad?" Josh asked.
"You're still asking. It's finally sunk in. After way too long. Thought it was really easy to except it. In the mean while I was still struggling with the fact that my mother had a boyfriend. I can't believe she is moving on from my father," Maya said.
"But she has every right to. Maya your father has been gone for ten years now. Maybe it's time you move on as well," Josh said and making Maya look at him.

Should she tell him?
Yeah maybe now is the time and the place.

"You're wrong. My father died twelve years ago," Maya said and Josh looked at her.
"Your dad died when you were three? How?" Josh asked.
"Car accident. And please don't sya you're sorry. I've had enough of that from your brother."
"I won't. But it's bad he died at such a bad time. At three a girl still needs her father," Josh said.
"At three years old any toddler needs their father," Maya said standing up and walking to the rest of the gang.

Josh wonders what made her want to tell him that.
Maybe she does trust him.
But why?
Why does she all of a sudden tell him it now after eleven years of friendship?

~

It was late the night and everybody had gotten a chance to wish Mya happy birthday.
Katy surprisingly remembered that it was her birthday and she was being spoiled until the ground.
Katy and Shawn went home while Maya slept over as they discussed the previous week.
Maya was on the top of the roof when Josh came out with coffee.

"You okay?" Josh asked as he gave Maga a cup.
"Thanks. Yeah I'm fine. Everything was way too much today. I don't think I've ever been this spoiled. I was spoiled last year when my mother remembered my birthday. This year it's way different," Maya said.
"Because you have amazing friends. Plus Shawn looks like the ideaal step-dad," Josh said causing a smile to form on Maya mouth.
"Yeah," Maya said and Josh gave her a box.
"That I should have predicted," Maya said taking the box from him.

She opened it to find a locket with a picture of the two of them inside.

"No way. Thank you Josh," Maya said giving him a hug.
"Happy Birthday," Josh said.
"Yeah it is a huge birthday this. I want to thank you for today. I really had a great day," Maya said.
"Anytime. And if you ever feel like you want to do this again you have my number," Josh said.
"Why are you doing this? You've always had such a big problem with my age," Maya said.
"Well everyone needs to unwind and relax. Even me. Besides I wanted to be here for you today," Josh said and Maya gave him a quick kiss.

Suddenly she realized what she had done and pulled away.
She looked Josh in the eye before he pulled her close for another kiss.
This kiss was different.
It was soft yet passionate.
Maybe too passionate.

* Author's Note with everything Maya got for her birthday coming up soon.