Chapter 44

~Violet

I wake up with a pounding head. I peek through my eyes to find I'm not in my room. I try to remember the events of last night. The last thing I remember is Leo getting a call and Dominic buying Joy and I a fruity drink.

I look around the room and realize I'm in a hospital room.

I'm wearing a hospital gown and have an IV in my arm. I sit up and find a glass of water and two white tablets in a medicine cup on my table in front of me.

After I take the medication, I finish the whole glass. I'm so thirsty I need more. I hit the button to page the nurse. Five minutes and the nurse assistant knocks as she comes in. I request more water and tell her I need use of the bathroom. She gets me more water while the nurse unhooks the IV.

When I'm through with the bathroom I sit in the recliner next to the window. Man, that margarita was strong. I've never had one before but I still think it tasted funny. Dominic insisted it was suppose to taste like that. I only remember drinking half of it than everything gets hazy.

The evening was going good. We were there at the pub for only fifteen minutes before Dominic showed up. Joy and Leo were playing billiards, I was throwing darts while I waited to play the winner. He bought us all a few rounds. About an hour later we all had a pretty good buzz on.

Dominic started hanging all over Joy while I played Leo on the billiard table. By the time I sunk the black eight ball Joy was against the wall in a heavy heated makeout session. Leo and I moved over to the dart board to give them space. Eventually they started playing a game of pool.

I couldn't help but notice the flirting between those two. I was happy for Joy, she was disappointed about the lack of attention she was getting from Sabastian. They looked good together.

An hour later Leo got a call from one of our informants, they had a lead on the the posioning during the last round. He said he'd return shortly. I wasn't worried, I trust Joy. I don't think Dominic would try anything in as public place. It was pretty crowded.

A knock on the door brings me out of my thoughts. The doctor comes in with Leo and Sabastian on his heals. Sabastian helps me back into the bed and covers my legs. Then he pulls up a chair and holds my hand.

The doctor has no hair on the top of his head, oval lenses sat low on his nose so his small brown eyes could look over them. He has a white goatee around his thin lips. He's short and round wearing a white lab coat, black pants, and black crocs. A clipboard in his hand.

"Hello, Miss Valentine, I'm Doctor Sawyer. I have a few questions." He said, his brows knitted together.

I look to Sabastian the to Leo, both their faces are tired with heavy bags under each eye. It appears they didn't sleep much last night. Concern is etched in all parts of their face and body languages. I turn back to the doctor and nod.

"Do you remember anything from last night?" He asks as he pulls a pen out of his coat pocket.

"Only up until drinking a margarita after Leo left." I reply.

He writes it down. "Humm, that's what I thought. I got your test results after that we ran a few more tests. We hooked up an IV and gave you fluids to flush your system."

"What did you find out?" Leo asks.

"Have you ever heard of gamma-hydroxybutyric acid, GHB? It's a drug used commonly in the bar scene as a date rape drug. We found traces of it in a urine sample we took. Which we got after we put a catheter in." He looks from me to Leo. "We followed those results with a rape test, which came back negative. Violet, who gave you the drink last night?"

I swallow hard and wet my lips to speak, "Dominic. Where was I found?"

"I found you unconscious in your bed." Sabastian said.

"How did I get home, did you bring me home?" I ask Leo.

"No. I was only gone thirty minutes. By the time I got back only Joy was there. I brought her back to the palace. She said you started feeling sick so Dominic took you back to the guesthouse.

When I got back to the guesthouse Sabastian was dragging Dominic down the stairs and out the door. Sabastian looked angry, he told me to bring you here."

"Oh god... " I gasp.

Dominic had failed to keep us separate and made this desperate move. "What happened?" I croak.

"I walked into your room to find you passed out on the bed, Dominic was trying to kill you. I tackled him and dragged him out of there. He's in the dungeon now. We have evidence on him to charge him with attempted murder." Sabastian explains.