Cheated out of Mortality (Chapter Four)

Start from the beginning

"Weeeee!" I heard Fez say as he flew over my head.  Someones enjoying themselves.

He flew ahead of me until we came across an old man at the corner of the street.  When Fez saw him, he quickly landed and stood on the ground in front of me as if he were just any ordinary person.

"Who's that?" I whispered in a tone that was barely audible.

"He's another ghost, Mr. Walters," Fez whispered back.

Mr. Walters slowly turned his head to the side, spotting us standing there.  He was wearing a large Maroon coat and black pants.  His hair was all grey, and he was hunched over with a cane in his hand.  If I hadn't noticed his pale white skin and heard Fez tell me he was a ghost, I would have never came to that conclusion.

I continued walking past Fez who still stood there.  When I came up to the man, I stopped right in front of him.

"Excuse me sir, I-" I started, but he cut me off.

"What a pretty young girl," he said in a low tone.  "I remember when I was that young.  I was so athletic and very fit.  If only I could be like that now.  Somehow, I ended up like this.  Weird how things like that happen, eh?"

Even though I was right in front of him, he didn't seem like he was talking to me.

"What's this old man's problem?" I asked Fez, pointing at Mr. Walters.

"He's, well..." Fez couldn't figure out how to describe him.

I turned back to the weirdo and tried to talk again.  "EXCUSE me sir, but I need-"

"What time is it?  I'm almost late for my granddaughters birthday party.  I can't believe she's almost eleven years old.  Time truly does fly, eh?"

I can't believe this guy.

"Is it Winter yet?  I need to buy a new shovel soon.  I don't enjoy walking through the snow, and neither does my wife.  At time's like this, the only thing I can do is be prepared.

"I wonder what's for dinner?  I asked for rice, but I don't think we have any at home.  I should run to the store sometime soon before we run out of food.  I don't want to die."

I walked past the weirdo and continued towards the graveyard.  Fez got back into the air and followed me.  When we were farther away from the old man, I asked  "What's with that guy?"

"He, well, I don't know how to describe it.  All day long he'll just stand in one spot and murmur to himself random things," Fez did his best to explain.

Knock him off the list of ghosts I want to talk to. 

 We kept walking, or should I say I kept walking, since Fez was flying.  It was pretty quiet, except the occasional car traveling by.  It also wasn't very windy, which made me realize something.  IT'S HOT OUTSIDE!

Finally, after ten more minutes of torture from the sun, we reached the nice, shaded graveyard.  I walked up to the gate and pushed it open.  It made a horrible creaking noise that made me shiver, but at least it wasn't dark outside.

There wasn't anyone here, as far as I could see.  That included ghosts.  You'd think at least one of them would be drifting around here.

"I don't see anyone," Fez told me.

"Me neither, but I didn't walk all the way over here just to go home right when I got here.  I'm going to stay until one shows up!"  I let my determination show, and I found a seat on a bench just randomly there.

"I thought you would have wanted to go home, since you don't even like ghosts."  Fez cocked his head to the side.

"But I need to find a way to become mortal again, even if I have to speak to...ghosts.  Besides, it's much cooler in here since there are so many trees around here to shield me from the sun," I pointed out.