Cheated Out of Mortality (Chapter Fourteen)

Chapter Fourteen

A week went by.  When I had first returned home after the incident with Katsumi, I hadn't spoken a word to anyone in my family.  I still couldn't believe that they didn't believe me.  Throughout the week I had talked a little to my family, but nothing that lifted the atmosphere.  Also, I didn't talk quietly with Fez or any other ghost that I happened to see.  I wasn't going to act like it was a secret anymore.

I had talked to my friends like nothing had happened.  I had never told them, so there wasn't any reason to act cold towards them.  I haven't gotten anymore visits from reapers since Katsumi, and even though I liked it I found it quite boring with no excitement.

I haven't found anymore clues as to where I could find Avery, if he even existed.  He better exist, he's my only hope at being mortal again.

Right now I was downstairs in the living room watching TV with Samantha.  We were both ignoring each other.  Until the doorbell rang.

"Answer the door," Samantha ordered me.

"You answer it," I snapped back at her.

"I don't want to."

"Well neither do I."  Both of us had kept our eyes on the TV while exchanging this little talk.

The doorbell rang again.  "Samantha, the door's calling you."

"I don't like to be called Samantha and you know that!  Fine, I'll be the mature one and answer the door."  I smiled at my victory as Samantha got up to answer the door.  It was then that I realized something.  I haven't been giving into orders as much as I used to.  Well, that's good.  Now I won't lend out money to her all of the time because I feel like I need to.  I can fight back!

I heard the door open and a hello from Samantha.  "Hi there!"  Whomever was at the door greeted her.  She sounded like a girl.  "I"m Av, what's your name?"

Samantha paused then said "Sam."  She sounded a little annoyed and awkward.

"Well, do you have anyone in your family named Angelina?"  My head shot towards the door at the mention of my name.

"Yes, I do."

I got up and walked over to see who was at the door.  I didn't recognize her.  She was a little shorter than me with auburn hair.  Her hairstyle was a little strange; It came a little past her chin and her hair in the back was up in a high ponytail so it looked even shorter.  She also had side bangs covering her left eye.

"Are you Angelina?" Av asked me.

"Um, yeah I am.  I don't know you though.  Have we met before?"

"No, but I need to talk to you."  I was somewhat suspicious.  She couldn't be a ghost because Samantha could see her.  Maybe this had nothing to do with the paranormal.

"Okay, let's go out front."  I went outside and closed the front door behind me.  Av led me into the middle of my yard and turned to face me.  She was wearing a graphic tee with short denim shorts and loose looking sleeves that went from her elbow to her wrist.  At the ends it was tighter to keep it in place.

Someone poked me on the back and I jumped.  It was just Fez, arriving from upstairs where I left him.  He had been reading again.

"Av?" Fez asked, sounding a little surprised.

"You know her?" I asked him, shooting him a questioning look.

"Yeah, I met her before you."

"Hi again!" Av greeted, looking directly at Fez.  Wait, could she see him?