Cheated Out of Mortality (Chapter Twelve)

Chapter Twelve

I was quiet for awhile before I decided to go home.  Though, when I gave a lot of thought to it, it wasn't like I was in any danger not going home.  I wasn't going to starve or need a place to sleep.  I guess the only reason why I was now heading towards my home was because I didn't want anyone to worry about me.  I also don't want to be alone in this, so it would make me happier if my family would just stop searching for an explanation and believe me.  Was that so hard?

"Hey, Angelina?" Fez poked me on the shoulder softly.

"You can call me Angie now," I granted him permission.

"Thanks.  Then I'll let you ask me one question and I promise I'll answer honestly no matter what it is."

I turned around and faced him, stopping in my tracks.  We were already outside of the graveyard.  He looked serious about what he said, but a little nervous as well.  Even though I really wanted to know what his name was, the fact that he had never told anyone led me to believe that maybe he wasn't allowed to.

I thought for a moment.  I only got one question, so I had to make it a good one.  There were many questions bouncing around in my head, and I was trying to think of a way to ask a question that answered more than one of my questions.

"Could you explain to me in detail how you died?" I decided to ask.

He hesitated, then sighed.  "I guess I can.  I don't remember how long ago it was, but it was more than five years ago.  This won't take very long to tell you, since it was pretty random."

Ah, I wanted this to take a long time so I could delay my return home.

"I was standing outside with my little sister, who was splashing around in her mini pool.  I was watching her have so much fun, smiling to myself.  She was only five, and very adorable.  Her name is Abigale.

"But, suddenly it felt like something had cut me in half, and I remember clutching my stomach.  There was nothing physically wrong with my as far as I could tell, and Abigale didn't seem to notice anything different either.

"I remember falling to my knees and the world spinning around me.  I couldn't breathe or see clearly or move.  The last thing I saw before falling over completely was Abigale looking at me with a worried look, and I heard her call my name, but it sounded like an echo.  Then everything was black.

"I opened my eyes four days later and found myself laying in the same spot that I had died in."

I waited for him to continue, but he just looked back at me.

"Well?" I asked.

"Well what?"

"What happened after that?"

"You only asked how I died, not what happened after."

"But you didn't really tell me how you died."  Then something occurred to me.  Does he even know how he died?  Then I recalled him telling me that he had been murdered.

"I told you before, I was murdered," Fez reminded me.

"Yeah, but who killed you?"

"You didn't ask that."  He smirked now.

"Er, you're so specific!  Couldn't you just tell me?"

"I don't think I can."

"Why not?" I whined.  I spun around and started walking back to my house again, Fez following me.

"Because, I just can't.  I know who killed, I just don't want to tell you."

I turned to glare at him.  "You're having fun right now aren't you?"