Two

Mr. Turner asked me to close and I never minded because I need the extra money. When I work late, Usually Mario watches Princess for me but since he's not here, Ruby volunteered.

I was wiping down tables and putting chairs up, when I heard the bells signaling somebody walked in.

"Sorry we're closed."

"You missed me?" I stopped what I was doing, and turned to face him.

"What're you doing here?" I asked.

"I came to see you. Something you haven't done in four years. No calls, no letters. Nothing."

"I was dealing with something. And I did write you letters. I just could never send them."

"Why?" He asked. I shook my head.

"It's hard for me to explain." He nodded slightly and walked up to me. It's been so long since I've been this close to him. I missed his presence, his smell, his eyes and dimples. He didn't change much.

"How have you been?" He asked. I shrugged.

"Alright I guess."

"Who was that kid with you earlier?" I wanted to tell him the truth but I knew he'd flip out.

"My cousin. I drop her off at preschool in the morning." He nodded and sat down in a booth. I felt his eyes on me.

"You look good Mani." I looked over at him.

"So do you."

"So what have you been up to these past four years?" He asked as I continued to clean.

"School and work. Just tryna get my shit together."

"You and Mario together yet?" I looked over at him as he started to light a cigarette.

"Mario and I are just friends and if you want to smoke, please take it outside." He chuckled softly.

"Fine fine. You almost done here?" He asked looking around.

"Just about. Why? You wanna give me a ride?" He shrugged standing up.

"Sure." He said. I nodded and put the last chair up. I turned the lights off and led him outside, locking the doors behind me. We got in his car and drove to Ruby's house in silence.

"So anything new with you?" I asked him. He shrugged.

"I'm seeing this girl."

"Oh."  We fell back into an awkward silence. We pulled up to Ruby's house and sat there.

"I thought about you while I was in there. All the time." He told me. I looked at him.

"I'm sorry I didn't keep in contact. "

"It's all good." I had so much I wanted to say but of course I didn't.

"Uh thank you for the ride."

"Anytime. Goodnight Mani." I chewed my lip.

"Goodnight Oscar."

I got out the car and went into Ruby's house. I sighed leaning against the door. I rubbed my face and shook my head.

"Mommy!" Princess smiled running over. I smiled and picked her up.

"Hi baby. Were you good for Ruby?" She giggled and nodded.

"Alright go get your stuff on." I smiled putting her back down. She ran to get her stuff. Ruby came over to me.

"Hey you alright?" He asked.