Thirteen

I woke up in the middle of the night to Oscar speaking loudly on the phone. I heard my brothers name mentioned a few times along with Cesar's. I walked up to him with my arms crossed.

"What's going on?" I asked. He got off the phone and grabbed his keys.

"I'll be back, just don't go anywhere this weekend." He said.

"Can you tell me what's going on?" I asked.

"Later." He said heading to the door.

"Oscar-" he left without another word. I chewed my lip and grabbed my phone. I called Latrelle and got no answer. I sighed frustrated then called again. When I got no answer again, I called Cesar. I huffed when I got no answer from him.  I wasn't calling my dad and I hoped my next option picked up.

"Now she know how to work her phone." He said answering.

"Jerome, what's going on with my brother?"

"No hi, wassup, damn why don't you call him yourself?" He asked.

"You don't think I tried. Look, can you just tell me what's going on?" I sighed.

"We making moves. Your boys making moves. It's best you stay wherever you at. Out of freeridge."

"Listen, if the-"

"I gotta go." He said hanging up. I clenched my phone tightly in my hand before putting it down.

I paced back and forth a bit not sure what to do with myself. I knew something was wrong. I jumped hearing my phone ring, and grabbed it seeing Cesar calling.

"Hello?"

"Hey you called." He said.

"Yeah, is everything okay?" I asked. He sighed softly.

"Your brother rolled up on me and Monse."

"He what?!"

"Monse and I were walking back from the store, he pulled up in a car, we talked some shit back and forth and he pulled out a gun." He said.

I sat down rubbing my face.

"Hey, Oscar is calling I have to go." He said.

"Alright, thanks for telling me and I'm
Sorry if that means anything." I said before ending the call.

I stayed up all night letting my anxiety get the best of me. I was worried about Latrelle, I was worried about my friends. I knew the Santos weren't going to let something like this slide.

When morning came, I got Princess up and promised to make up for her daddy not being here to make breakfast.

Instead, her and I made pancakes and watched cartoons. I cleaned up after and let her play with her toys as I finished up my homework and got started on the invitations for the Quince. I tried calling my brother again, and was pleased when he text me asking me to bring Princess to the park.

I needed to talk to him and I did want them to spend time together. So I got her dressed and did the same for myself. Once we were ready, I looked out the window and sure enough, Flacko was parked across the street. I might as well put him to good use.

I got Princess' booster seat and led her to the car after locking up. Flacko gave me an amused look but unlocked the doors anyway. I strapped Princess in before kissing her cheek and getting in the passenger side.

"We're going to the park by my old house." He nodded starting the car. I tried calling Oscar a few more times but he didn't answer.

"He's not going to answer. The streets is hot right now." Flacko said after I locked the phone.