Cheated out of Mortality (Chapter One)

Почніть із самого початку

"Geez, do you know how many times I've seen you in that position?" I heard a voice say.

I picked myself up, but nearly fell back over when I saw who it was.

"YOU AGAIN?" I pointed at his floating figure.  It was a boy about my age with short, wavy, light brown hair.  I had seen him many times before, and that fact that I could see him was never a pleasant one to me.

"Me again!" He threw his extemely pale arms into the air.

"Shut up!  Didn't I tell you to leave me alone!  You're always popping in and startling me!"

"Sorry," he apologized.  "but it's so boring!  I mean, how would you feel if you were a ghost with no one to talk to but other ghosts?"

"That's the thing that scares me!  Why is it that I'm the only human that can see ghosts like you?"

He shrugged.  "Ask Amanda, she knows everything."

I shivered at the thought of speaking to her.  Amanda was a ghost like him, but she had been dead for so long, that she has learned a lot of things that many humans don't even dream of learning.  She is also a very powerful ghost.  She is able to do anything with people's minds, and she is the one in charge of the dead.

He laughed and said, "Yeah, maybe we should avoid her."

"Listen here, Fez!-" he held out a hand to stop me.

"Wait, Fez?"

"Yeah, Fez.  Since you never told me your name, I have been forced to make one for you.  Now, as I was saying-"

"But where did you get Fez from?"

"From three things that represent you: Failure, end, and sleep."

His expression changed from confused to sad.  "What do you mean by that?"

"Well, you failed to live, your life ended, and now it's like you're in an endless dream."

His expression lit up again.  "Oh, that's what you mean."

I waited for him to say something, but he just floated there, smiling at me.  He better not interupt me again.

"As I was saying, just because-"

"Why couldn't you have just thought up a real name for me?"

My anger was rising, and slapped his solid body.  "STOP INTERUPTING ME!"  I yelled at him.

"Haha, sorry."

He placed a hand where I had slapped him.  Ghosts are apparently solid, but can still make their bodies transparent, which allows any object to move through them.

"Can I finish?"

"Oh, yeah."

"Thank you," I continued. " As I was saying, just because I can see you doesn't mean we're friends so don't think we are.  I HATE being able to see ghosts; they freak me out.  I wish I wasn't able to see you and the rest, and if it were up to me I wouldn't chose to see you.  I don't know who made it this way, but it doesn't look like they thought about my opinion on the matter."

I stared at him, waiting for him to respond.

Just then, my phone rang.  I picked it up to see that it was Sasha."

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey hey Angie!  Do you wanna meet me at the park?"  Sasha replied.

"Of course!  I'll see you in ten minutes."