thirteen

! Don't Forget To Vote !

Anastasia Smith

Today was the day of the Winter Ball. The school informed us yesterday that it will be in a large hotel downtown with a ballroom. Nobody expected it to be such a big thing but it just got the students more excited.

I, on the other hand, still felt like not going but the dress is the only reason I am not backing down. Again, thank you, mom.

   There was no school today to give everyone time to get ready.

Since no one was with me, I did my makeup and hair on my own. Violet, Meredith, and Loren were out taking photos together.

Quite honestly, being alone during times like this make me feel friendless. Not a good feeling. Last year, I got ready with Violet and Loren. Along with that, I had a date. I wonder how he feels about this year.

My phone started ringing midway into hair. It was Mallory.

"Hey! I figured since our Winter Ball isn't here yet, we could come and see you before you go to yours."

My eyebrows rose and a smile crossed my lips. "We?" I asked. I heard a small, faint giggle. "Ana! It's Eden."

"Thank you guys, I will text you my address."

Not long after, Mallory appeared with snacks meanwhile, Eden showed with a camera. "Snacks for the ladies, and pictures for the lady." Chuckling, "Let's take pictures together!" I chimed in.

Both girls shot up and immediately started helping me get ready. Eden took over the hair, Mallory took over makeup. "We must hurry! The sunsets at 6 and it's 5:15. It would be a perfect opportunity to take pictures in the flower field."

   The makeup and hair were amazing

The makeup and hair were amazing. "Thank you, guys. Life savor's." They let out small laughs before grabbing my arms and pulling me out the door and into the car.

Right when we got there, the sun was setting. Eden was right, it was beautiful.

Picture after picture, we got really good ones together. Eden suggested going to the bridge after for more romance like photos. The dress looked amazing in the pictures. I am glad I did not get the other fluffy dress. That would have been a tragic mistake.

Eden took the photos and Mallory kept making me laugh by doing silly things behind the camera. It was pleasant with them around, there was never an uncomfortable atmosphere. Always laughs.

   "This one is amazing!" Eden had shown us the picture and quite honestly, I was surprised at how well they turned out.

   With a group hug and the sundown, we walked to Mallory's car and drove to the nearest ice cream parlor

   With a group hug and the sundown, we walked to Mallory's car and drove to the nearest ice cream parlor. The ball started at 10, it was 8:30. We had plenty of time to kill.

   "We should definitely come here more often. This ice cream tastes like home." Eden seemed to be in the world inside of her head. Mallory on the other hand was too focused on her ice cream to say or do anything. Eden and I made eye contact and giggled at Mallory.

Looking up, she peaked at the both of us, clueless as to what we are laughing at.

Not long after, we all got done with our ice cream and went on a drive. The dance was still an hour away. All three of us had no idea how to pass the time now. "Anyone know what to do?"

Sighing, they both shook their head no. "Let's go to the broken bridge, yeah?" Eden immediately shook her head no. "With the sun going down, absolutely not." This was my first time seeing Eden so serious.

   Mallory proceeded to beg her to agree with the plan of going there. Still, no yes from Eden. It was not untol Mallory proposed to take her to the pastry shop downtown.

   "If you agree to go, I will take you to your favorite pastry place you were talking about and pay for everything you order. How does that sound, hm?" Mallory dragged out her hum to make it more convincing.

   With an eye roll, Eden finds herself to the car and waits for us to leave. Both Mallory and I follow her behind with Mallory in the front and the both of us in the back.

   "Off we go."

   Eden was right about it being dusk and dark but I have been here countless times to care about it being daylight or evening.

   Mallory parked on the road and turned music on. It fired the whole bridge with tunes. Grabbing Eden and I by our hands, she dragged us from the back seat and took us in the middle of the road.

   "C'mon!" She smiled and started to sway her hips to the beat of the music and Eden did the same. I thought it was weird until I began to dance with them. Laughing, we only had the moonlight as our only light source on the dark.

   Cars passed every now and then, when they did, we stopped and continued once they left. Song after song, it grew colder outside but we did not mind. We were all too in the moment of prosperity. 

   "Oh no, it's 10:17!" Mallory freaked out with me being late but I think I am having more fun here with them than I am going to have at the ball. Once again, she grabbed our hands but instead of throwing us out of the car, she threw us in.

   "Off to Cinderella's ball we go! Make sure to leave a shoe for prince charming." she winked at me while looking in the rearview mirror. I laughed and rolled my eyes. Eden giggles while she took a picture on her other film camera that was in her bag.

***
13