nine

! Don't Forget to Vote !

Anastasia

   We have been here for two days and my grandpa absolutely loves Zachery. My mom and Derek are setting up the dinner table since my grandpa is sick and does not want his caregiver caring too much.

   Kind of ironic.

   "Gramps, everyone, the table is ready." Everyone sat around, Zachery was next to me. Mom passed all of the food around.

   "Thank you, ma'am." My mom taps Zachery in the back of the head. "What did I say about calling me ma'am. Mom, or Linda. You choose."

Zachery shuffled in his seat about how awkward he felt. "I- um. I'm sorry. This is everything I'm definitely not used to."

She smiled apologetically, "Call me mom Zachery." Zach's eyes light up. "Mom?"

My mom smiles and Zachery looks away, surprised, but with a big smile on his face.

"So, you two together?" Grandpa asked. I nearly choked on my food. Zach looked at me and laughed. "No sir. We are friends."

"Are you sure? Also no sir in this house, it's grandpa, kid." Zachery's face told me he felt cared for.

"Yes. We are sure grandpa." I laugh.

Soon enough dinner was over. Grandma, Derek, and Zachery were all drinking beer and exchanging laughs. My mom and I were doing the dishes.

"Mom, I see you looking at me like you want to say something-"

"Are you over Asher?" the questions were so sudden and unexpected. "What?" I said. Honestly, I am. I know I am.

"Are you over him?" I nod yes but she looks upset. Raising an eyebrow I stopped doing dishes and sat on the barstool.

"I miss him. He was like... a son." My heart sank for her. "Mom. If I bring him over when we get home, you can see him. But I am no longer associated with him so I won't be around."

Her smile beamed through every crack in the darkest areas. "Thank you. I haven't seen him in months." I nodded and we both went back to the boys.

Eventually, everybody went to bed and Zachery and I were in the guest bedroom. Zachery slept on the floor but I felt horrible. "Come up onto the bed loser." He shook his head no.

"Why not?" I asked. "I have respect, Smith." rolling my eyes, "We are sleeping Zachery."

Zach was hesitant but was persuaded to go onto the bed. We were both lying on our backs. It was peaceful, Zachery's aura was bright and calming.

"Do you know what you want your future to look like?" I asked him. That was a question I was waiting to ask him. "No. I don't think I will make it very far. But I am willing to try."

There was a soft glow around us due to the moonlight. I loved his answer. It was warm and fuzzy. "You will make it farther than the farthest star with a mindset like that."

"What about you? What do you want your future to look like?" He asked me with curiosity and question. "A huge part of me wants to be an artist. Another huge part of me wants to become a writer. It's hard figuring it out."

He scoffed playfully. "Why not be both? You are capable." He said it like it was the easiest thing in the world. I shrugged and rolled over so my back is facing him.

"Goodnight, Zachery."

"Goodnight, Anastasia."

***

It was our last day at my grandpa's house. The week has been amazing. Our whole family decided to go out and eat today.

"Do you guys want to go in pajamas? It's night time after all and who cares." Grandpa asked. "Hell yeah." Zachery fist pumped the air and everyone else agreed.

   Getting closer, and closer to winter made me realize the winter dance was coming up. They do this every year, last year I went with Asher. This year, I don't even think I am going.

   "Chinese?" All of us decided and we went to the nearest Chinese restaurant. "The food here is great. The owner is a very old friend of mine-"

   "Since elementary baby." An old woman with white hair, flawless skin, and a bright smile beamed. "Hello, I'm Miranda. Nice to meet you all!"

   She held her hand out to shake all of ours. "Oh darling how I've missed you." My mom wrapped her arms around Maranda. They know each other I'm guessing.

   "What can I get y'all today?" Grandpa looked at the menu but jumped up like he remembered something. "How about breakfast for dinner?"

   "You got it." Miranda disappeared into the back while we were looking for an empty seat for four.

   Zachary and my grandpa were on one side, Derek and my mom on another, and I sat at the end. It was a pretty restaurant full of vintage posters and old music playing.

   "I just got an email from the school." Zachery held a questioned tone. "What does it say?"

   "A winter dance. With a theme of white and baby blue. And..." he skimmed through the email to see if he could find anything else to discuss. "Oh, and it's exactly 2 weeks from now. Right before winter break."

   My mom hummed sarcastically and nudged at my shoulder. "One more thing, we have to learn a dance. They sent a video on how to do it. Everyone needs a partner. It's required, are you kidding me?"

   I laugh at Zachery's bafflement. "I know the dance. I'll teach you. It's simple. But you have to switch partners I think... 3 times. One to your date, one to a random person, then back to your date."

   "That sounds amazing!" my mom chirped up in her seat like a little kid seeing candy.

   "Well, I will take the teaching offer. Now all I need is a date apparently."

***
9