•Spare key•

Angelica's POV:

I sat up on the sofa and stretched. It's the next morning and Duncan's gone. Everything's in the same place, except I have a blanket on me and there's a note on the table. He made sure I was okay before he left? I sit up and grab the note. It says:

I left at 11pm, thank you so much for the night. I'll see you soon xx

He's so kind and romantic. I miss him already. I stay still for a bit, reliving last night then I suddenly remember about the letter. I scramble out of the blanket and put my hand underneath the sofa. Where is it? Where is it? Oh no! Did Duncan find it? Then I feel paper pocking my finger. Got it. What a relief. I get my phone.

Me: Thank you Lucy. Hope we get to do that again soon xx

Lucy ☘️: I'll see you tomorrow xx

Tomorrow I have Biology first and he's in my class. But so is Loki. That's going to be a problem. I'll worry about it at the time. I decide that I'm going to get ready and do a good deed today.

I get up, go to my room and do my casual morning routine, no makeup on today though. Duncan's compliment really impacted me, maybe natural beauty is the best kind of beauty? I grab everything (including the letter) put it all in my bag and walk to the bus stop.

When I get off at my stop, I skipped to Ed's door and give it a knock. No answer. I knock again. Still no answer. Maybe they're asleep? I could just go and surprise them? That's a good idea! I open up his outdoor light and grab the spare key. They're going to appreciate this gesture so much, especially as they are ill.

I unlock the door, and no ones there. That's strange. I look around, in each and every room, no ones here. I sit down on his sofa and decide to shoot Jess a text.

Me: How are you both feeling? Any better? Xx

Jess: Nope, I don't think neither of us will be in school for a while. We are just sat on the sofa at the moment, completely dead haha xx

I can't believe it. Did she just lie to me? I'm sat on their sofa right now and they aren't here, they're invisible or something?! Let's play along a little, to see how much further she's going to go.

Me: Oh that's horrible. Have either of you left his house since? Fresh air might be helpful? X

Jess: Nope! We've opened the windows but we can't last too long without throwing up. I've got to go, Ed's just thrown up on his bed! Love you lots Angel xx

Wow. Maybe the mysterious HM writer is true. Everyone's got their secrets, and I understand that. But I don't appreciate being lied to. Especially by my best friend. I wanted to reply, but I physically couldn't. This hurts too much. And now I want to call and tell Duncan but what if HM is right about him too. What if he's lied to me too? What if his family stuff is all a lie? I can't believe it's a lie without proof, but I can't believe it all either. Not yet.

I grab my bag and leave. I have so many emotions rushing in and out of my mind at once. My brain is like a race track right now. I want to cry, but I also want to hit something. I get back on the bus home. I know what I need to do. I get in, grab a pad of paper and a pen and I start to write:

Dear HM,

Thank you for contacting me. I'd like to know how you know this? And what exactly do you know? Because it's quite a big thing to accuse everyone around me of lying. Write back with some proof, however little. Then, and only then we will negotiate.

Angelica Dove.

I post this letter to the school with the letters HM on the front of the envelope. I really can't trust anyone can I? What if Loki's actually a nice person? What if Duncan's lied too? What if HM is just causing me to feel like this and there's actually nothing to worry about? Maybe Jess just told a little white lie? But maybe everything she's told me is a lie? I need to stop overthinking and just wait for a reply. For the rest of the night, I do everything in my power to try and take it off my mind, until I finally fell asleep.

The next day, I wake up as there's a knock at my door. I'm late! I put any pieces of clothing I find on, open the door and there he is. At my door, again.

'What are you doing here?' I asked as I had a toothbrush in my hand.

'I just wanted to apologise for last night. Me and Duncan have some... unfinished business. But I'd hate to bring you into it. I'd actually want to get to know you. You seem like one of the nice ones among the sea of snakes.' Loki said. Does he actually mean this? Is he genuine? It's difficult to understand, his face is telling me he's sorry, but his eyes tell a different story. Should I believe Duncan?

'Apology accepted. I need to get ready so bye.' I said with a smile while closing the door. Of course I'm going to listen to Duncan, I promised him, I even pinky promised him so I have to keep my distance. I get my phone out and say:

Me: Loki was just at my door. He came to apologise, I just accepted the apology and left.

But there was no instant reply this time. I did the rest of my morning routine in my fastest time yet, 4 minutes. Go me! I opened my door, ready to leave. But there he was...