Chapter 16 - Adrianna

There is always a twist in games, hidden motives, or ways to cheat. I was fully aware of Brooks' intentions when he gave me his proposal. He wanted to get more out of me and for some reason I found myself okay with it. And don't get me wrong when he offered me the opportunity to nearly kill him a little light in me flipped on and left me smiling. Sometimes his persona was too overbearing. But for some reason with him I find myself at eaze. Not once has he judged me for having a secret addition to my life or for not being true to my image. There was something about him that I could trust. Like you know when you meet someone and right away you can just tell there's something about them, well that's Brooks. Admitting this to myself is more difficult than it seems. I don't usually quickly open myself up to anyone, not even my family.

"So here's how it's going to go," Brooks starts while moving the targets. Watching his movements I've noticed that he has a few more tattoos scattered across his body. The black designs suited him. Each was different. Each seemed to have their own story.

Pointing to one of the targets he continues, "I'm going to stand in front of this target and you will get to throw the knives just close enough to hurt me."

"And what's the catch." He smirks and stops from what he's doing to look my way. "You are going to answer any question of mine." Rolling my eyes put my hands over my face and rub my eyes.

"Why do you care so much for getting to know me, we're just working together."

"That is true, but I don't want to know nearly anything about you. For all I know you could be planning to kill me. See at least if you tell me a bit about yourself I'll die knowing you weren't a complete stranger."

"Fine," I agree. It was nice knowing that there was someone willing to get to know me just for the hell of it rather than for publicity or money.

After agreeing I walk over to the various knives and choose upon a grey set of 3.

"3 thowing knives, 3 questions, alright?

"Deal," he says. With that we both ready ourselves for the riveting event that lay ahead of us.

---

So far Brooks had blown his first two questions on what were my favorite snacks and how many people I had slept with. They were random questions that had no motive behind them.

"Goldfish, peanut butter crackers, and Rosé," I instantly blurted out after throwing the knife towards the left region of his body. The blade had landed just under his armpit. His reaction was calm and he didn't flinch. "A grown up with child food cravings," he joked.

"Shut up okay I take my snacks seriously."

When he asked the second question he held the same tone as before. Serious yet curious.

"And why does my body count matter," I questioned.

"It's just a fun question, calm down And besides the number can say more about a person than they think."

"Why the fuck would I keep count?" The knife is being waved in the air as I throw my hands up in concern. I never understood people who felt the need to keep a count.

"Jesus, Adrianna are you some sex addict, because if so that would make sense as to your lack of relationships." Rapidly, I cast the blade, nearly missing his neck. "6," I disclose.

"You know for someone who thinks keeping count is weird you were quick to say 6."

"I won't hesitate in throwing the other knife you know," I say while pointing the throwing knife straight at him.

He nods his head and doesn't return to the topic. For some reason though I couldn't help but wonder what my number had revealed to him. Even though a number didn't define a person his opinion slightly intrigued me.

For a few moments we stand in a comfortable silence. Brooks stays positioned with his arms out and head straight forward looking towards me. Lifting my gaze to meet his he finally opens his mouth and then asks, "What's something no one knows about you?"

Quietness enters the atmosphere.

"My life is practically an open book, everyone knows everything about me."

Brooks looks at me with disbelief and sincerely says, "You may appear to be an open book but I'm well aware that there is more between the lines." He's not wrong. I only let the public know about what makes me or my family look good. But I don't mind it that way, because then I don't have to worry about being judged for when I'm not so perfect.

"Come on Adrianna, I won't tell anyone." When he says this I can see the honesty in his eyes. He adds to his behavior by pouting his pink lips.

"Alright, alright just give me a moment to think." I brush the strands of hair out of my face and look back down at my hands. There are so many things I could tell him, so many secrets, so many stories, but all of them would come with consequences. When I'm about to give up Brooks moves from his spot and sits on the floor. He crosses his legs and places his hands behind him. He stares at me with joy and awaits my reply. At the moment a memory crosses my path.

Diagonally, I sit across from him. "Growing up I've always had to attend my parents stupid events. I always had to hold a smile and act as if I had so much interest. After we took pictures for the media I would sneak out to this abandoned movie theaters. Although it was vacant I knew how to set up the film and get the projector running, so I would watch old movies. I actually did that up until I began college."

"What did you like to watch," Brooks asks. I love how he doesn't ask why I did this or whether I ever get caught.

"Really any 80's movies. They're such classics."

"You know whats a good movie," he chimes.

"What"

"Nightmare on Elm Street."

"Oh my god I know, right! Believe it or not I find it more fun than scarier."

A wicked smile plays across Brooks once sweet face. He tousles his hair out of his face and then leans in making it fall again. "I think we are going to be better friends than you think." I don't answer his comment but both of us already know that it might be true.

---

Nervousness is coursing through me and I can't think straight. My hands are shaking a bit and I can't get them to stop. I was good all Friday until it came to sleep. Time couldn't have gotten any slower. Now looking into my mirror I realize that I should have just hit my head against something hard so I could sleep. The bags under my eyes aren't helping my appearance as well. I look like a wreck, and to add to all this my check is still slightly bruised from thursday. After our game we trained for a bit more and then called it a day. Friday was well spent sitting at home doing work to prevent anyone from seeing my marked face.

Waiting for Brooks to pick me up I finish up my makeup and apply my usual curls. Next, I head to my closet in order to find an outfit that shouts "hey, I'm Adrianna Luna and I am so devoted to helping out others. I could never harm a fly." Pulling out a white dress with sheer sleeves I am happy to be acquainted with my iconic golden girl image. Perfect.

When I'm finished dressing my phone chimes indicating a text message. I already know it's Brooks so I head out and meet him out in the parking basement.

He rolls down the window to reveal himself wearing his signature black sunglasses. Dragging them down his nose he asks, "Ready to break some laws?"

Just at the sound of my future actions my heart starts beating faster and my breath hitches.I fidget with my hands while walking slowly to the car. Upon getting in and buckled my seatbelt. The polyester from the belt is cold against my skin as the two make contact. The Brooks turns off the car and turns to me, "Hey chill everything is going to be fine. You're gonna deal some drugs, maybe kick some ass, and then get your money. You got this." His nonchalant aura is calming.

"Thanks for the pep talk coach."

"Always," he says after turning the engine back on and starting our journey.