Chapter 37 - Adrianna

Brooks and I left in two seperate cars to ensure that nobody suspected anything and I'm glad we did. Earlier when he was in my room, his eyes never left me. At first I thought it was because I looked ridiculous but he insisted otherwise. And to make matters worse, he saw my tattoo! Nobody has ever seen it except Camila and for some reason I told him about it. Some part of me felt the need to justify its purpose.

God, sometimes I feel so conflicted with him. At times I find myself acting as if we have known each other since childhood and other times I'm very distant. It's not that I don't want to get close but it's just better when I'm to myself. Yes, sometimes it's lonely but it secures any possibilities of me hurting anyone else.

The car comes to a stop and my stomach begins to feel queasy. It feels in knots. Is it too late to change?

Opening the door, I'm meet with a red carpet and lots of cameras, the usual. But in the end, I can't deny my need for attention. I've become so used to it that I've come to crave it.

"Adrianna, over here!"

"Miss. Luna who are you wearing?"

"Adrianna, smile!"

I wave politely and straut down the carpet to where pictures are being taken formally. Here goes nothing.

At first all that can be heard are lots of "oohs" and "ahhs." Then a sudden gush of bright flashes take over my vision and the paparazzi are pushing one another for better angles. A bold feeling takes over and I throw out a flirtatious wink. The press eats it up and asks me to stay a bit longer. Maybe this dress was a good idea?

After a few minutes I'm able to head to the party. Although everything takes place outside, its located in a very secluded area. The moment I step in the smell of tasty mexican delicacies fill my nostrils, there is a mariachi band playing in the distance, and everybody is super cordial. Hanging above are intricate pieces of papel picado, or colored paper in english, in colors ranging from warm oranges and yellows. You can tell each piece was well thought out and took time from all the minor details.

Everyone is dressed in bright colors, making the environment lively as well.

"Adrianna you look like a snack!" A woman says as she passes behind me. When I try to identify who it is, the woman is gone. Well, thanks for the compliment.

I head towards the appetizer table once it comes into view. Hopefully some food can settle my skittish tummy. I haven't had anything but tea today so one can imagine my hunger.

I'm approaching the table as someone steps into my line of sight instantly taking away my appetite. Hunter Sterling, my ex, great! I haven't even been here for 5 minutes and already it's going downhill. His presence is bothersome.

"If it isn't Adrianna Luna." Hunter comments in his usually snarky tone. He keeps his distance from me but eyes me up and down making me feel violated. He has not changed one bit.

"Hunter, what a surprise. What brings you here?" I really could care less but I just want to get this conversation out of the way.

"I could ask you the same thing, regarding the fact that you didn't come last year." For his information I was at a charity gala in New York but I don't have to give him closure.

I don't respond to him and try to make my way towards the restroom or anywhere other than here.

"Not so fast," he says while grabbing ahold of me. His hands are rough against my skin. "You didn't think you would get away without explaining why you are dressed the way you are? Your mother would never approve." Instantly, regret returns to me and I can't help but feel insecure. I shouldn't have listened to Brooks; I look absurd. Hunter grins knowing that he has hit a low point and grabs my chin with his hand. "Don't worry I won't tell, but she'll eventually find out about your bad behavior."