What Happened

Spencer's POV

In that moment I swear my heart stopped. Seeing Emily, so strong, courageous...just collapse and smash her head off the tile, blood forming a miniature pool around her head. I screamed and tried to get her to open her eyes but I couldn't do it. Failure is kryptonite to a Hastings, in that second I felt entirely helpless, I held her hand and continued to talk to her on the ambulance ride to the emergency room. Her heart rate was fine, just the trauma to her head..it was just surreal.

Now I'm sitting in a chair that I pulled up to Emily's bedside, holding onto her hand while the steady beep from the monitor assures me that she's alive and breathing. I can't even imagine how horrible things must be back in Rosewood. Alison has surprised me in so many ways from the moment we met, to her return, and relinquishing her 'Queen Bee' title. It's actually so amazing to see someone transform like that, it makes me wonder if she would be the way she is now if she wasn't stalked by multiple people hiding behind a letter and a mask in the shape of her own face. As long as she's good to Emily, that's all that really counts to me. I can't bear seeing Emily in pain and it only makes it worse being in this hospital, her forehead needed twenty-six stitches. She came out of surgery six hours ago, I don't even know if I can handle seeing the way pain makes her eyes dull in shine. Emily won't cry, or even contort her face into a wince of pain, just the way pain dulls that glitter of happiness and joy is enough to make me feel terrible for her.

"Em...please open your eyes."

Her eyes slightly twitched at the mention of her name, which means she can hear me.

"Em? It's Spencer." I brushed some of her hair that had fallen out of place from her eyes, her eyes fluttered open at my touch, making me feel more at ease.

"Spencer..." She looked around the room, clearly confused to where she is. "Why am I here? What happened?"

I opened my mouth to explain, as she ran a hand across her stitches, she pursed her lips and her eyes widened. "Emily, you won your last race."

She sat up a bit, "Oh?" she smiled. "But..if I won, what am I doing in the hospital?"

I cleared my throat. "Well, your teammates lifted you out of the pool, from where I was in the stands..I couldn't see every last detail of what happened, but you collapsed and hit your forehead off the tile."

"Oh, well, that sucks." She leaned back but then quickly shot back up. "Oh my gosh, Spencer, was Ali watching?" Her eyes wide in terror.

"Oh...I got like four SOS messages. I'm so thrown off, I should have answered them." I unlocked my phone, scrolled through my messages and felt my stomach do a flip.

"Spencer...?" Emily wiggled over to my phone as much as she could and peered over into the messages. "I need to go home. Immediately." She tried to get herself up. Only to unwillingly be put back into the bed by the IV in her right arm.

"I don't think it's a wise decision to leave the hospital right now." I cautioned.

"SPENCER, PLEASE, I NEED TO GO HOME." She shouted in frustration. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell, but I'm needed more at home than I am here, I'm sure my teammates will understand. Just please...Spence." Her eyes were begging me to sign her release papers.

"Okay, Em. I know how to care for stitches, just let me find a nurse, we'll quickly get your things from your room, and be on the next flight out of here. I promise."

"Thank you." She managed to choke out, holding back tears she didn't want me to see.

"Sit tight, we'll be out of here as quickly as possible." I said as I rushed to the direction of where Emily's doctor would be. Good thing I picked up Spanish before I got here.

Emily's POV

Ali...what happened to her? Is it my fault? Did I trigger her accident? I'm so stupid!

I let the tears that were forming behind my eyes fall silently, making spots on my bed sheets. How could I hurt her? I'm never forgiving myself for this. I allowed myself to cry for a few minutes before I heard Spencer come back, thanking the nurse in..well what had to be Spanish. I quickly wiped the tears from my eyes. While the nurse unhooked me from the IV machine, handed Spencer a couple bottles, a slip of paper, and she said something to her that I couldn't understand, smiled at me and promptly left.

"What did she say to you?" I asked nervously.

"She told me to give you two painkillers every four hours, she'll fax a prescription up to the states if you need more..."

"And?"

"..and she wanted to know if she could have your autograph, her daughter is a fan of you." She smiled.

"That's so sweet, pass it over, I'll sign it. By any chance were you able to get my sweats? I really don't have any clothes." I bit my lip.

"Of course, a Hastings is always prepared." She grinned while reaching into her messenger bag and tossing me my sweats. "Of course, I dont have your underwear, think you can tough it out until we get to your room?"

"Yeah, lets go. Ali needs me." I said as I carefully pulled my sweats on, not trying to tear a stitch.

CeCe's POV

"I'm soooo fucked Hanna!" I said rubbing my temples.

"Why? It's not your fault Ali went into shock." She said matter of factly.

"Yeah, accidents happen CeCe. I'm sure Emily will understand." Aria tried to comfort me.

"I don't think either of you understand, this was my chance to prove to Emily and the rest of you that I could be trusted. I failed." I brushed away a stray tear. "Alison had a panic attack under my watch and this isn't gonna look good for a second chance."

Aria was taken aback. "CeCe, if anything you were the hero."

"Yeah, I've never seen someone spring into action like that, like, ever." She smiled. "You have good standing with us if that makes you feel better, so far that's three out of five!"

"Hanna..." Aria warned

"Sorry," She looked away. "but it doesn't change how amazingly well you reacted in an emergency situation like that."

Aria smiled. "I couldn't have put it any better Han."

"Thanks, it really is good to know I have some people by my side." I admitted.

Aria's phone beeped. "It's Spencer, she said she discharged Emily, and they're at the airport. They'll be on the first flight back to Philly."

"How long is that?" I mean when does the plane leave?" I dared to ask.

"In about fifteen minutes, they'll be here tomorrow, it's like a twelve hour flight."

"Oh..well, thank goodness Emily will be home in the morning."

The girls nodded their head in agreement.

"Damn, I wish I told the doctors I was family. I wonder how Ali is doing."