ALLURE PROLOGUE

****PROLOGUE****

Shadows caressed the edges of her mind.

The world flitted past her, leaving her to gather the broken fragments of her life by herself.

Cold nights, a warm blanket, soft words, the ra'is pouncing on her.....

She jerked awake, her breathing heavy, as the remnants of her dream clung to her. She lay on the cold hard bed for a few minutes more. She didn't remember falling asleep in the tiny sleep-pod, only that she was excited as they boarded the spaceship. Next thing, they were traveling through a Portal, and she felt sick. That's all she remembered.

She forced herself to sit up, and a wave of dizziness hit her. She took a few moments to feel less rattled, and she then freshened up in the small bathroom.

Her life had altered in a single moment, a single decision. She has wondered for days after if there was anything she could have done differently. However, if she had done things, yes, she would be home now instead of on a spaceship bound to somewhere far across the Universe; but her brother would be dead.

Wasn't it better - her brother was alive, even though she'd never go home again?

It had been three years since she'd run since she'd escaped the rage of her people. And yet, the same questions plagued her over and over again.

She washed her face and looked at herself in the mirror. Her silver-blonde hair had grown longer now, and the pink strands had a healthier sheen. She remembered never growing-out her hair when she was at home. She always wanted to keep it short - like her brother. There were no Gods, Goddesses, or Spirits on Ytèan anymore, but she looked at her brother like he was one.

Maybe Gods and Spirits don't exist anymore to remind us that our families are the ones who are sacred, her mother had told her once.

She sighed as she exited the tiny sleep-pod and walked out, making her way to the main deck. A few members of the crew were going about their work, and she looked around, searching for him.

She didn't find him.

She wondered how far they had traveled, as she walked about the ship, hoping she'd slept through several Portals. She'd hate to go through one again, fully conscious.

She passed through several empty corridors, with no luck in finding him. Instead, she stumbled upon his Uncle on the main deck as she passed through it again. The man looked at her and smiled. She half-ran, crossing the deck to the opposite side, not acknowledging him. He was huge, with blue-black hair and an orange aura. And, he creeped the wits out of her. She'd seen him on rare occasions in the past three years and was always glad that she didn't have to see him frequently.

She made her way through several more empty corridors and assumed that he was probably in a sleep-pod, asleep. Or in the training room – she'd first been surprised to hear that the Spaceship had one.

Finally, she stepped into the outer corridors that rimmed the ship with glass. She circled the perimeter gazing out at the blackness of space and, then she saw him. And she saw it – blue and green, like Ytèan.

She walked up to him; he was staring at the planet with awe – the same awes he felt.

"Iro'h," he acknowledged her as she stood beside him.

He'd gotten a fresh haircut, and the black and red hair strands were short now.

Iro'h looked at the planet, amazed by how similar it looked to Ytèan.

"Earth," he said.

She nodded, her eyes fixed on it.

"It looks peaceful from here," he smiled, and his dimples showed.

Iro'h smiled as her eyes found Ah'n. He was taller than her.

They stood quietly, looking out at the Earth for a long time.

"Did you choose an Earthen name?" he asked, his mismatched eyes, finally, tearing away from the Earth to look at her.

She nodded. He continued looking at her, demanding an answer.

So, Iro'h replied, "Lalana,"

✽✽✽