sixteen

Ava sits at the back row of the classroom. Jesse and she haven't talked since the fight yesterday. She flicks her pen while waiting for the teacher's entrance.

Her eyes stop when she sees Jesse wheeling into the classroom. Their eyes meet. Jesse looks at her wearily, he's so exhausted that he can barely keep his eyes open. He looks down and proceeds to his usual seat at the front row.

Jesse turns his body away from Ava in his seat all period long. His waves of hostility hit her again and again. Ava hates herself for desperately wanting him to look at her, and she hates it even more when Meara catches her staring, because then she smirks in conceit.

She does not try talking to him again.

At lunch, she is in the bathroom stall. She makes sure no one is in the bathroom that is located at the furthest end of the school, and tears cascade down her cheeks. She does not know if the tears have meanings or they're those produced by her brain uncontrollably. Why can't her life be easier like others? Everything seems to gnaw at her, making her restless.

She walks out of the toilet and to the next class with total despair. While she is walking down the halls, she overhears her name being spoken. People whisper and stare at her as she moves. What is wrong with people today?

She enters the classroom when the whole class silents abruptly. She gazes around agitatedly. She paces up to her seat at the back while feeling numb, as people resume to murmur while peeking at her. Ronnie, sitting in front of her, turns back and inspects Ava in concern.

"You okay?" Ronnie's voice is soft.

Ava frowns and blinks. "What?"

Ronnie sighs. "You haven't seen that yet, right?"

Ava gawks at Ronnie as she scans the classroom swiftly. Jesse is keeping his head down while writing on his paper. She returns to Ronnie. "What do you mean?"

Ronnie presses her lips together and takes out her phone. "Someone spread this just now during lunch. I was wondering where you at, Ava." She presses the play button of a video.

Jesse was talking to Meara. They were in the locker hallway after school when everyone had left.

"Why did you do that to Ava?"

"What do you mean? I kissed you, how does that do with Ava?"

Ava is stunned. Jesse is right there in the video, talking to Meara. For her.

"Jesse, she is the one who gets all these, what's that called, mental health illnesses? It's her brain's issues, not me."

"How could you- how could you say that?"

"Jesse, I have nothing to do with Ava. She deserves it, okay? Tristen said she kissed him to make me jealous. I won't even catch a glimpse of her if it's not that."

"That's not funny, Ava did not do that!"

"Yea, she did not. Of course! She's just an innocent little girl right?"

"If you dare to hurt her again, I will-"

Ava simmers her rage. She clutches the corner of her vintage yellow sweater so bad that her fingernails hurt her palm, even with the cloth in between. She is palpitating in chaos. Everything looks surreal. So, so surreal. And then his voice rings.

"Woah, you will what, wheelchair dude?"

Ava covers her mouth with her hands in terror and astonishment when she sees Tristen standing right opposite to Jesse.