ten

"Happy birthday nerd!" Jesse exclaims when he sees Ava entering the school. Some students around look over to them with curious looks.

Ava's mouth gaps open. She mouths 'WTF' and looks around, embarrassed. Her voice trembles as the word "How on the effing world do you know..." comes falling out.

"I have your Snapchat!" Jesse puts his phone up. A small cake emoji appears at the end of her name column.

"Oh my God..." Ava whispers. She still cannot react to what just happened and is clearly in astonishment.

"Haha, gotcha, again." Jesse emphasizes the word "again" and smirks. He tilts his head towards the school entrance. They enter the school and settle down in the classroom.

"So, down for a walk after school?" Jesse's voice startles Ava.

"Where'd you wanna go?" Ava asks.

Jesse smirks. "I'll bring you to a place."

"I'm not down for gnarly stuff."

"It's nothing but fun, trust me." Jesse stops in front of Ava.

Ava looks at Jesse's face with a sight smug. "Okay," she says.

"Yeah." Jesse's eyes light up. "See you after school then."

"I have to head home before six, I think I'll have my birthday dinner with my parents."

"Sure, it won't take long."

The teacher keeps in class talking but it sounds like a distant whisper for Ava. The unexpected hope grows inside her body.

Jesse is taking me out.

She has always kept and suppressed her feelings, not for anyone, but for herself. She knows that the Ava from a few months ago would be immensely disappointed, especially when she is having feelings for a boy.

A boy. The last time she did this her whole world changed.

But she looks at Jesse again, his beautiful profile. She decides to believe that Jesse is different, at least for now.

"We have a birthday girl here!!" The exuberant Jesse tells the lunch squad with a delighted voice.

"Oh my God, Ava!! Happy birthday!" Melanie hugs Ava with a broad smile.

Ronnie smiles. "Happy birthday, Ava." She rarely talks to Ava, but the joy in the air breaks the gap between them.

The squad gives their wishes to Ava, and Jesse takes out a large box. He untangles the ribbon and pops open the box. There is a chocolate birthday cake.

Ava's heart almost stops. Her mouth and eyes triple in size, her jaw quivers a bit. She blinks deeply a few times and she feels like tears forming in her eyes. Happy and astonished tears.

She looks up to Jesse with her jaw drops. "No."

"What?" Jesse smiles slyly.

"I don't want to swear on my birthday again but... holy, Jesse."

"Happy birthday." He grins.