Fair Game: Bird's Nest

Start from the beginning

"Are you going to leave me behind too...cause I'm a faunus?" he asked the huntsmen.

"No. Absolutely not. We're huntsmen, we protect people, both human and faunus." replied Qrow.

Clover stands up and picks up Corvus, putting him on his hip.

"Come on, kid, we're gonna get you out of here, and take you to the next village." Clover said.

"By the way, this is my husband, Qrow. Qrow, this is Corvus." he added, introducing Qrow and Corvus to each other.

"Your name is Qrow? Cool, I'm a crow faunus." Corvus said, smiling a little.

"How old are you, Corvus?" Qrow asked him.

"Four." answered Corvus.

"Wait, Qrow, what are we gonna do about the bodies outside? We can't let him see something like that. And we can't just leave them there." Clover whispered low enough for only Qrow to hear.

"There isn't much we can do. We're just gonna have to get to the next village, tell them what happened here, and they'll take care of the bodies. And as for the kid, just tell him to close his eyes." Qrow whispered back.

"*sigh* Okay. Hey, Corvus, please close your eyes for a bit. There's stuff out there we don't want you to see." Clover told him.

"Okay." Corvus said, covering his eyes with his hands.

Once they were far enough away from the village, they had Corvus uncover his eyes.

"Tell us about yourself, kid. Not sure how long it'll be until we get to the next village, so might as well pass the time." Qrow said.

Corvus tells them everything. About how badly he was treated by everyone; that when he was younger, his wings were clipped so he couldn't fly; and and that in the orphanage, he didn't have a bed, just a mattress on the floor. Each story made Qrow madder and madder; he couldn't believe those people could treat a child that way. It also reminded him too much of the abuse he suffered in his own childhood. I mean, Corvus is such a sweet and kind child, despite everything.

"There's also this really neat trick I can do; though, everyone else just thought it was annoying." Corvus said.

"What's that?" Clover asked.

"I can imitate anyone's voice exactly." replied Corvus.

"That's actually really cool. Why would that be annoying?" asked Qrow.

"Everything I did annoyed them. Isn't that just how it is? Aren't humans just always annoyed by faunuses?" Corvus asked them.

"No, that's not how things are supposed to be. Those people had no reason to treat you the way they did. And frankly, those jerks got what they deserved, being slaughtered by Grimm." Qrow answered, voice filled with anger.

"Qrow! Don't say that, no one deserves to die. Even if they're awful people." Clover scolded his husband.

"Let's just change the subject. This conversation is bumming me out." grumbled Qrow.

So, Corvus talks about things he likes to do, like climbing trees. Then Qrow tells him about his ability to turn into a crow. This very much intrigued the little boy. When it got late at night and they still haven't reached a village, Qrow and Clover decided to set up camp somewhere. By the time Clover was finished building a fire, Corvus had already fallen asleep in Qrow's arms. As him and Clover sat by the fire, Qrow couldn't help but stare at the boy sleeping in his lap.

"Cloves, we...we can't leave him at the next village we come across. What if they treat him as badly as the other one did? We gotta take him to Patch with us, there's good people in Patch, people who'll give him a good home. If he has a loving, stable home, he won't grow up to be someone...well, someone like me." Qrow told his husband.