An unexpected turn

The claws slipped into place from the steel surrounding his fingers. Since all of his fingers were covered in the metal, it had been easy to create a latch that could cause the claws to appear quickly. All he had to do was move his fingers the tiniest bit and eek, the grate of metal on metal announced their arrival. Tiny. But hearable.

Eraserheads glowing red eyes caught his attention momentarily. He almost laughed at that. As if there is anything for him to erase.

Izuku grabs the hand on his mask, snatching it away from him and twisting. A brief look of surprise passes over Eraserheads features and Izuku quickly punches him in the gut.

No point playing fair. Eraserhead had interrupted his chance to sleep earlier that night, he would get what he deserved.

You don't mess with a cat and it's naps.

Izuku yanked the scarf from around him while Eraserhead was distracted. He knew he couldn't beat him. But a cat has claws for a reason. To inflict pain not damage.

They stared at each other for a minute, Izuku grinning from adrenaline and Eraserhead looking as dead inside as he usually did.

Then, like a shot of wind, he struck. Except, Izuku had already moved. Twirling across the rooftop, he disappeared from Eraserhead's sight for a few seconds. When he reappeared he was behind him, bringing his claws down towards his back.

Eraserhead turned at the last second, catching sight of the metal glinting in the moonlight and shoved him away, rolling over to get more space between them.

Izuku wasn't even panting. His runs were a lot more challenging for his stamina upkeep than this.

"Kid, what are you even doing out here?" The gruff voice spoke, startling Izuku out of his reverie about how long he would have to run to improve his stamina even more. It was already two hours a day, how much more could he go?

"Oh, you know, just... exploring the area. A cat likes its territory to be safe." Izuku added in a hiss at the end, for comedic effect and because it seemed appropriate. He was a snarky twit at heart, he just never showed it

"Kid, be serious. It's not safe out here."

"I know."

"Oh do you, really?"

"Yep. It's not exactly a walk in the park. But it's safer for most people if I'm here too."

It felt so strange to be so sarcastic to someone he admired so dearly but. It needed to be done. Along with some other things.

"Less talking hobo, more fighting. You want to catch this cat? Then come get me!" He ran towards the ledge of the building, jumping off it. Time to test his new shock absorption boots.

Thud.

He rolled and landed in a crouch. A quick glance upwards proved that Eraserhead was not too far behind. He had to hurry.

How to lose a tail 101 class, directed and taught by Izuku Midoriya... (yes pun intended).

He ran in between buildings, on roofs, anywhere he could get his hands on. Or claws in. Ha.

Or anywhere that was easy to get to. He had jumped over a fence at one point, and the metal bar that he kept on his belt, bent to look like a tail, had fallen out, clattering to the ground. He ignored it. He could always make a new one.

He continued running. Eventually, he lost sight of Eraserhead. He sighed in relief, turning around and bumping into the chest of a much taller person. He stepped back.

Lean muscle, black eyes that began to flare red, dark as night hair raising slightly, hobo clothes on and secured.

Goddammit.