Flight

From all of the places my flight had to do a scale on, it had to be Russia.

That's the reason why I am currently paying for an ice cream while the passenger next to me in the seats (who "coincidentally" turned out to be Ivan) is reading a book.

Thank you very much economical blossoming, I am capable of paying for such stupid luxuries in a plane thanks to you.

I received the ice cream and offered it to Ivan, I owe him for that breakfast after all.

He looked up from his book, raised an eyebrow and then sighed. "Yao, when I said you owed me an ice cream I was talking about going out and getting it.... Not this..."

Oh you ungrateful brat, how dare you refuse my ice cream? I will eat it in front of you if you don't want it.

I sighed, being mad won't get me nowhere I have to be calm, to convince him of accepting it, I don't want to be indebted with anybody.

I force myself to smile warmly. "But this is the same, even better because it is a unique experience"

He scoffs. "Really? You think I can't pay for ice cream in a plane?"

I hold my stare with him, I am not backing up on this. "I am not saying you can't I am saying you haven't."

He looks at me for some time, then he looks down at the ice cream and takes it.

I knew he would accept it, it is ice cream after all.

After eating the ice cream he turns to me and inquires: "Yao, you have a scale in Russia, why don't you stay in my house? You'll travel again in two days anyways, I have plenty of rooms in my house you can stay in one of those."

Why is he asking me this again? I don't want to go there...

"I can't do that, I have to report myself back and arrange other matters, besides I don't have too much clothes with me."

He looks at me confused.

"What I mean is that I didn't pack for a whole week, I need to get back home and perhaps it is not right to book a flight to China and stay in Russia, I might get charged for that."

He stares at me for some seconds, maybe he is trying to tell if I am lying or not. Well Good luck with that Russia, you'll never find out unless I am nervous.

He smiles at me and then he says cheerfully "Then it's settled, you will stay in my house, I will call Taiwan and she will send you more clothes, it is not far anyways, or we could just get you some new clothes, summer is coming which means it'll get warmer."

Then he proceeded to keep on reading his book.

What the hell just happened? I didn't accept why did he said that?

NO.

I can't go there.

I can't.

I look at him, he seems focused on his reading. I can't go there, ok I can but I don't want to. I shook his arm and look at him pleadingly. "I can't go, I have to report myself, I have to arrange everything."

He just stares, why is he doing this?

He sets the book apart. "You worry too much Yao" –he smiles- "I don't live in a cave, you can always use my phone, or my laptop, you have yours with you anyways."

If there is a time for me to panic it should be right now. I shook my head. "it's not that, I can't go really."

"Don't be silly, I am sure you can, I asked Hong Kong if you had anything important this week and he said you were free."

Betrayed by my own brother, again. Why is history repeating itself?

I can't hide the awe in my voice. "You called him? Why?"

"Because I wanted to make sure I was not getting you into trouble with your government, I know how strict they can be.-he stopped, shook his head and smiled again -It doesn't matter, Yao. I promise you'll be delighted, I asked Lithuania to cook one of his delicious cakes you have to try it, it's magnificent."

I raised my eyebrows. "Is Lithuania is your house?"

Ivan laughed. "Of course not, why would he? You know he is busy trying to strengthen his economy but he is such a good friend to me that he sent Latvia with it."

It's good to know I am not the only one avoiding places but he sent someone else, I couldn't be so cruel. "So Latvia is there..."

He shrugged. "I don't know, maybe. Why? You want to talk with him? I can ask him to stay."

No, poor Latvia doesn't need to be more scared. "Why do you want me to go to your house?"

He frowned "Why not? I always go to your house I think it is time for me to return the hospitality."

Why does he have to be sensible about this? I cannot refuse now, maybe it is time for me to overcome this fear, in the worst scenario I'll just pass out in the front door. If it happens I'll say it is because of the heat.

I sighed. "Fine"