23 - Promise

"Hey, Ade, how are you doing?" I greeted my grandmother once I entered her room.

"Who is it?" She groaned angrily before directing her gaze towards me and once she recognized a familiar face a warm smile covered her lips. "Oh, Charlie! It's you! My boy finally came to visit me."

"That's right." I didn't correct her since the last time I tried to explain I was in fact not her son but her grandson she basically had a total breakdown. "I'm sorry I couldn't come sooner."

"Don't worry, my boy. The important thing is that you're here now. Come, sit with me. I want to hear all about your adventures." Grandma tapped her hand on the bed where I placed my butt on shortly afterwards.

"Oh, you know, everything's pretty much the same with me." I didn't want to make up lies to cover my true identity so I attempted to change the subject. "Are you feeling okay? Do you like the food they give you here? If not I can ask them to..."

"No, no, that's okay," she interrupted me before I could finish the sentence. "The food is fine."

"Did you make any new friends?" I asked.

"I did," grandmother's eyes lit up for a split second. "I was even engaged. Your old momma still has some new tricks." She winked sneakily. "I may not have my hot body anymore but I still have men wrapped around my finger."

"Engaged? So suddenly? What the hell were you thinking?" I couldn't help but feel shocked and outraged. "Wait a second. Did you say you were engaged? Like in the past tense?"

"He died." She didn't even blink an eye.

"Oh my goodness!" I gasped. "Are you okay?"

"It's fine, dearie," grandma assured me. "He was too old for me anyway."

"When did you even manage to get a fiancé though?" I questioned. "Didn't I see you in August. Not even two months have passed since then. Don't you need time to fall in love and all that good stuff?"

"When you're my age those kinds of things become irrelevant. I'm not looking for my soulmate or anything. I was searching for a companion whom I could spend the rest of my days with. I just didn't want to die alone, that's all." She replied. "Love and all that crap aren't as important as you think. I loved your father with all my heart but that jerk died without me. Trust me, you'll understand once you get older. You'll have plenty of time for all that."

"Right..." I struggled to gulp as a single tear suddenly appeared in the corner of my eye.

"What's wrong, chipmunk?" Grandma must have noticed my mood shift since she started gently rubbing my back with her hand. "Why are you sad all of a sudden?"

"Oh, it's nothing." I shook it off.

"You can talk to me, dearie," she smiled brightly. "Who made my son so gloomy, ha? Tell me and I'll slaughter them all."

"I'm really okay, Ade," I reassured her.

"That's what you always say when you're not okay." Grandma patted my head. "I think I know what this is about." She then declared confidently. "You have trouble in your love life. That's why you became all sad when I mentioned my fiancé. Don't tell me you were jealous? Oh, chipmunk, trust me when I tell you this, all your problems will get solved eventually. I don't even remember who I was dating when I was your age. Oh, wait, that's not completely true. I'm pretty sure I was going out with some Russian chick. I've never even told your father about her. I'm sure he would have been very surprised. His heterosexual ass can't relate haha!"

"Why are you telling me this?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, I almost forgot." Ade became more serious. "The whole point of that story was that you shouldn't worry too much about your issues. They only seem big now but in a few years you'll look back and realize just how unimportant all that drama was. Your current lover will just become a distant memory."