1 - Hope

Dear mom and dad,

I'm sorry I haven't been writing to you lately. These last few weeks were unbearable. Actually I think I might be close to the limit of my endurance. Ever since that day at the hospital...

To be honest I don't really want to talk about that right now. It's hard enough as it is and constantly replaying that same scene in my head isn't going to help me at all. So why don't we change the subject.

Elena's doing much better now. She doesn't know the baby's gender yet. She said that she wants it to be a surprise which I don't really get why but it's her decision so I obviously supported her. I'll stay by her side as long as I can. I'm worried about what will happen to her after I die. I hope she won't become depressed. She's already been through a lot and the last thing I want is for her to be sad because of me so I have to make sure she remains healthy.

Oh, I almost forgot, her doctor said she can finally get the eye surgery after the baby's born and I'm hoping that happens soon because I really want to look into her eyes again before I leave.

I think she's calling me right now. I have to go but I promise I'll write more.

I can't wait to see you guys. But I have to be with Elena for now so you're gonna have to wait just a bit longer.

I love you so much.

Tyler.

***

I put down the pen as I finished writing the letter for my parents and placed the paper next to my books.

"Ty!" My sister called out my name from the other side of the door before knocking. "Are you busy? I can come back later."

"No! It's okay." I quickly rearranged the mess that was on my desk to make it look like everything was clean. Even though Elena couldn't see she was somehow always able to tell whenever my room was unorganized so I didn't want to take any chances. "Just a second. I'll be right there."

My breath accelerated rapidly while I was putting everything in order and disposing the garbage so when I finally opened the door to let my sister in, I was barely able to stop myself from gasping uncontrollably.

"Is everything alright? You sound out of breath. Did something happen?" Elena's voice was carrying a hint of panic that was slowly growing inside of her.

"I'm fine. I was just... um... working out." I tried making up a lie which didn't sound too convincing but she decided not to question me any further.

I made her grab onto my bicep to seat her on my bed. She placed her palm on top of my hand and squeezed it lightly as a fading smile cracked on her lips.

"Please don't hide anything from me, Ty." Elena's saddened tone had put a damper on her youthful face. "I'll help you however I can. We're family. Don't ever forget that."

"Of course, El." I slid my fingers through her hair and patted her head. "But enough about me. How are you feeling?"

"Oh, I'm good. The baby and I were just craving nectarines this morning so I sent Ian to bring me some." She greeted me with a wholehearted smile.

"How come Mr. grumpy boy agreed to go to the store without complaining for two hours?" I asked jokingly.

"I threatened I'd destroy his laptop so he had no other choice." Elena smirked wholesomely.

"Oh wow, you're brutal, sis." I couldn't help but chuckle. "How's he gonna talk to his girlfriend if you break his laptop?"

"Girlfriend? Don't make me laugh." She poked my shoulder playfully. "That no-good layabout only plays Overwatch all day."