Trading Vocations

They weren't even a few minutes into lightspeed when alarms started to sound off from all sides. Aria looked around the cockpit to try and see where they were coming from, but all the different panels were blinking their warnings. 

"This isn't good." Aria left her seat to look at the panel above her dad's head. "This really isn't good, it's saying there's a-"

"Electrical overload." Han said simultaneously with his daughter. Aria huffed as she tried to even the power out, but it seemed the converter was shot and there was nothing keeping the electrical current steady. 

"I can fix it!" Rey jumped up from her seat. 

"Do it quick." Aria looked back at her as she said it. 

"The coolant's leaking!" Han told the two girls as he looked at the gauges in front of his wheel. 

Aria groaned as she moved to stand by Rey to work on another part of the panel. The alarms only grew louder, and it made Aria's bones ache. Not from the noise, but because it meant the ship she grew up in was failing her. 

"We can try to transfer the auxiliary-"

"Power to the secondary-"

"Secondary tank, I got it!" Once again, Han, Rey and Aria seemed to be on the same wavelength as they worked around one another. As Rey and Aria broke through a panel to see the compressor, a loud groan came from the back of this ship- more specifically, Chewie. 

"You hurt Chewie, you're gonna deal with me!" Han yelled back as he tried to keep the ship stable. 

"Hurt him?! He almost killed me six times!" Finn's voice was faint, but they all heard it.  

Aria focused on what Rey was doing. Her thought was to fix the compressor, but Rey seemed to have a different idea. "Woah, what are you doing?" Aria's brows furrowed as she watched Rey's thin fingers work quickly. 

"Watch this-" 

"This hyperdrive blows there's gonna be pieces of us in three different systems." Han warned them. 

Rey didn't seem the least bit worried as she loosened some wires on the left side of the compressor and twisted them with the wires on the right side of the compressor, completely bypassing the compressor entirely.

As she did, all the alarms and flashing lights stopped. Rey returned to her seat with a satisfied smile. 

Aria slowly moved to her seat as she kept her amazed glance on Rey. It was innovative, and something she never would have thought of. She was old school in her ways of thinking- she got that from her dad. But Rey didn't have that mindset. 

"What'd you do?" Han turned in his chair to look behind him at Rey.

"I by-passed the compressor." Rey told him with pride. 

Han slowly looked over at his daughter to see his same confusion and amazement twisted in her features. 

Slowly, he gave a soft laugh as he stood to leave the cockpit. 

Some of Rey's pride dimmed at the lack of thanks from Han Solo. She looked to Aria who understood her confusion. 

"He doesn't give thanks like your used to." Aria told her as she stood up to follow her father. "His lack of yelling is his gratitude. Good work, kid. That was some quick thinking." She gave Rey a wink before she left the cockpit. 

When Arai entered the lounge she saw Han kneeling beside Chewie who had his shoulder wrapped in a sling. She moved next to her father and put a careful hand on Chewie's good shoulder.