Like Bitter Tangerine

Start from the beginning

Jack parked and shut off the car as Charlie got out. A few couples walked around on the same mission Charlie was on. He waved to them kindly as they passed by. Jack walked to Charlie's side and due to the height difference looked like somewhat of a giant beside Charlie. Jack put his long arm around Charlie's shoulder and together they began walking down the sidewalk. Even this was a dangerous game for them. In Brooksville people were cruel and violent and took out whatever sunshine they could with cold blistering punches. Charlie was used to it of course, he had to be after what happened. Charlie's been in more fights in the past year than he can count but he hated every single one of them. On the contrary, no one really messed with Jack. Maybe it was his demeanor or his attitude but the bullies tended to leave him alone. It also helps that Jack is one of the least stereotypical gay guys Charlie had ever met. But, that didn't stop the adults from making comments or threats. In Charlie's opinion, that was scarier. He could handle himself in a fight but who's going to listen to an eighteen year old boy when an adult is involved? Especially a boy like Charlie? Charlie also knew because of this Jack wasn't one for PDA. If there was a kiss it was nighttime or somewhere relatively hidden. Charlie didn't mind because he knew Jack was just trying to keep them safe. So, he had become comfortable with what he could get, which often was an arm around the shoulder.

"So, where first?" Jack asked and Charlie thought for a moment.

"I've got a list but let's take our time. We have all day to kill before the fair later," Charlie decided.

"I agree, let's just...relax," Jack shook out his limbs in an obnoxious manner and Charlie fell into a fit of laughter.

"You look like Goofy," Charlie wiped a tear and Jack laughed.

"Pfft, I wish," Jack fanned himself and Charlie shoved him playfully. It felt nice to have this again. This comfort and laughter, it was different than the type of laughter Charlie got with his friends. It felt warmer and anytime he could get Jack to smile was a win for Charlie.

They went a good two hours with no trouble. No comments or threats from anyone and Charlie was beaming. He almost felt like he wasn't stuck in Brooksville or the-most-horribly conservative-home-to-every-ism-in-the-booksville.But, something had to give at the couples' expense. It always did.

Charlie and Jack decided to grab lunch at a small restaurant in the market. It was relatively close to the farmers market and Charlie figures they could start shopping for food then. Raven always said Charlie was the worst to grocery shop with an empty stomach. They walked inside with the small ding of the bell and found a booth by the large window. The plush red seats were warm from the sun and Charlie was grateful, he hated feeling cold.

"I'm starving," Jack opened the small menu and scanned it eagerly. Charlie rolled his eyes at Jack practically drooling.

"Well, I'm gonna run to the car real quick and grab my jacket. It's kind of cold in here," Charlie slid from the booth and Jack looked up with concern.

"Are you sure? Want me to go get it?" Jack asked and Charlie waved him off.

"Please, I'm a big guy. I can handle myself. I can tie my own shoes and everything," Charlie winked and left the restaurant to head to the car. It was a good distance away from the diner so Charlie held his phone close and kept his head down. Although it's been a quiet day, Charlie is an easy target when he's alone. And more than anything he wanted to avoid trouble.

"Holy shit. It must be Christmas," a voice cut through the air and Charlie's heartbeat began racing. That voice brought back ghosts of bruises and blood. It brought back fists and a dreadful feeling of helplessness.

Charlie thought about how to lose him and more importantly avoid injury. An alleyway was an easy choice but a stupid one. Jacob would have him pinned and beaten in a second. Charlie felt his legs tremble as he bit his lip and picked up the pace.

"You weren't trying to run away were you?" A grip held onto the back of Charlie's shirt and he was yanked backwards. Charlie's entire body hit the ground in a heap of limbs. His lungs gusted out whatever air was inside of them leaving him breathless. He wheezed and coughed before quickly getting to his feet.

"Jacob, just leave me alone," Charlie sighed.

"That can't happen because your little Jew friend decided to clock me last week. And it will be so much more delicious to have him see you suffer because of his actions," Jacob approached and Charlie gritted his teeth and held his ground.Despite popular belief Charlie knew how to fight. He had to learn after the bullying got worse, but that didn't mean he enjoyed it.

"Eye for an eye pretty boy," Jacob spat and sent a punch to Charlie's face before he could even react. Charlie's head whipped backwards and he felt instant pain. He didn't show it though, he couldn't. Charlie balled his fists and sent a whopping punch to Jacob's face. It wasn't enough to knock him out but it was going to screw up whatever was healing. Charlie felt rushed adrenaline in his body. Fights with Jacob were a matter of life or death for Charlie. He never knew if Jacob would just lose it completely and pull a knife on him. That fear followed him constantly.

Jacob was angry before but he was furious now. Charlie backed away and attempted to walk but Jacob had other plans. He grabbed Charlie's arm, whipped him around and sent a horribly strong punch right to Charlie's jaw.

Charlie stumbles to the ground as stars clouded his vision. Dark spots of midnight slowly shadowed the daytime lighting. A horribly strong kick was sent to Charlie's ribs with Jacobs steel toe boots. Charlie cried out in pain and curled in on himself. Please just stop. Please go away.

"Hey! That's enough!" A shopkeeper ran outside and shouted at the two. Charlie saw Jacob book it, but not before a warning look that spoke more violence than any fist thrown that day.

______ERIK_____

Erik sat on the couch in an empty home. His mother was at work and his father far gone on a bender. Erik didn't much mind though, the quiet was nice. It finally gave him a chance to think. He was three movies into the Star Wars saga before his phone rang. It buzzed on the whiskey stained coffee table in an almost screaming urgency. He had half the mind to ignore it but something told him it was important. He paused the movie and lazily sat up to answer it. It was Raven.

"Heya, red," Erik answered. He stood up and stretched his legs.

"Thank God, can you come over? Charlie sit still!" her voice sounded frustrated and riddled with worry. Erik stopped in his tracks.

"Raven? What's wrong?" Erik knew in his gut it was Charlie. He always knew when something was wrong with Charlie.

"It's Charlie, he got in a fight with Jacob and he refuses to go to the hospital despite having just been jumped. He's busted to hell—yes I called Erik because he's the only one that can get through to you," she huffed.

"What the hell? Is he okay?" Erik asked already racing to the door. He didn't have a car, all he had was his skateboard. Panic was overtaking Erik's vision.

"No, he needs to go to the hospital but he won't. Keeps saying I'm being dramatic when he isn't crying out over his ribs hurting."

"I'm on my way," Erik felt like he was falling. Not just because Charlie was hurt but because it had to be his fault. He just knew in his gut this was done to hurt Erik.

Erik has never gotten from one place to another so fast. To this day he isn't quite sure how he did it. All he felt was dread and regret and guilt. Whatever shades of purple and scarlet covered Charlie was his fault and it terrified him to face that. He didn't ever want to be the cause of Charlie's pain, to let him down.

Erik tried to stay focused as he passed the skatepark. All he could see was Charlie fixing his scraped knees. He passed the arcade and the ghost of childhood's past chilled down his spine. He passed the Barrens and all he saw was the boy who never let him jump alone.

I'm sorry Charlie. I'm so sorry.