Xan slowed his pace as he reached his street. He stopped for a moment, taking in the view. The way he saw colors had changed now, but everything looked the same; every house, every tree, even the uneven curve of the street as it bent to join the next street. It wasn't fair that everything remained the same, but he had altered. He wasn't even in his human body anymore. 

He walked to his house and stood in front of it. His home was an average-sized one, but with his new height, it looked enormous. The beautiful blue paint now looked washed out and paled in his new vision. Yet, it evoked in him the same feelings. He was home. 

He slowly made his way across the grass and came to a halt at the front door. He stared up at it. He couldn't reach the handle or the doorbell. The door would have auto-unlocked for him if he was in his human form. But, now, the door stood adamantly closed in his presence. 

For just a moment, he considered turning around and leaving. What would happen even if he could go in? He was now a cat. His family wouldn't believe in a talking cat. Would Vaughn? So, what even if he did? Vaughn deserved better than being with a cat. It was impossible to go back to their old ways. Vaughn deserved the best in the world. 

Xan was about to turn around when the front door beeped open. It was Dae-Hyun, his younger brother. 

"Hey, little kitty," Dae-Hyun spoke, his voice soft. "You've been staring at our door. Want to come in?" 

Xan was ecstatic. It was his little brother. 

Dae-Hyun picked Xan up and took him in. 

"What's that, Dae-Hyun?" 

It was his mother. His beautiful mother, Hei-Ran. Dark circles rimmed her eyes; she had never had dark circles before. 

"Mama, here's a kitten," Dae-Hyun said. 

Xan wasn't sure what Hei-Ran would do as his brother placed him in his mother's arms. 

"He's cute," she said, holding him close. "I wonder what he's doing all alone so far." 

He held himself close to her. He missed her terribly. She smelled sweet. 

"Look, Ma, he's hugging you," Dae-Hyun said, and Xan heard the happiness in his brother's voice. 

"Hmmm..." Hei-Ran said and set him down. 

There was the sound of music from his room; he stilled. It was a violin. He dashed to the room and found him sitting on his bed, playing the violin. Vaughn looked a little different because of his vision, but just as beautiful. 

Xan sat on the floor, and listened to Vaughn, play a beautiful piece of music. Dae-Hyun and his mother stood by the door to his room and watched him, curious. 

Xan had eyes only for the boy he loved. Tears slid down Vaughn's cheeks as he drew the bow across the strings creating beautiful music. 

Xan wished he were human. He wanted to hold Vaughn, and he wanted to kiss him. 

Vaughn finished the piece and set the violin down. He burst into tears, crying. Xan wanted to speak in CommLang. He wanted to tell Vaughn that he was alright – in whatever way it was. He was alive, at least. 

Xan meowed. It sounded unnatural to him, but it was what was naturally expected of a cat. The meow came out in the cat's voice, not his own. Vaughn opened his eyes, sniffling. His eyes widened at the sight of him. 

"He ran to the room as soon as he heard you playing," Dae-Hyun informed Vaughn. 

Vaughn wiped his tears. "You like music?"