Chapter 25

Mel POV

Isn't lovely all alone

Heart made of glass, my mind of stone

Tear me to pieces, skin to bone

Hello, welcome home

"Mama! Mama!" I was broken from the only song that matched my emotions by Allison calling for me from the door. The doctor was standing in the hallway watching me walk up to him. I was scared, really scared.

I picked Allison up and put her on my hip and whisper to her.

"Hey, can you do me a favor?" I ask her in an enthusiastic voice that was covering up my true emotions. She shook her nod rapidly ready to do it. "Can you watch Ollie for me?"

"Yes, Mommy!" She says giving me a tight squeeze and basically jumping out of my arms. I watched as she went sprinting and then looked back at the doctor.

I look at a new doctor which I assumed was Chris's doctor and as far as I knew he was still in surgery. I hoped for an update, a good one. His eyes didn't hide his emotion. He was saddened and I prayed it was from something other than Chris's situation.

"Mrs. Wood. I'm Dr. Ambrosia. I am your husband's doctor." I shake his hand that he had extended. "Would you like to take a seat?" He asked me ushering to seats behind him. I sat beside him and quickly looked back at him for answers.

"Please just tell me. Tell me if he's alright or......" I felt tears come from my eyes and flow down my face, but I knew I needed to be strong. For Chris. "or if he's not." I force out.

"Um...." He drifted off looking at his clipboard. "Well, Mrs. Wood." He said looking at me again. I felt everything breaking inside me as I heard the worse news of my life.

"Although he has experienced a stroke, he managed to break her ankle in the process, but he should awake from surgery in a couple of hours." I look down feeling tears coming down faster, but then I realized did I hear it right?

"Wait, what?" I ask completely thrown off.

"Well, Chris's surgery was successful, and the only problem is his broken foot when he fell, you know...." He said confused with my confusion.

"Oh my god!" I said throwing my arms around him. "Thank you so much! Thank you!" He hugged me back and then when I realized this lasted too long, I back off. I just felt so alive again. I felt like everything would be okay. I felt reborn in a sense.

"What room-"

"He's in room 220, just a few doors down from Oliver." He said smiling and walking away. I look into the window of Oliver's room seeing the two kids asleep and I jog over to room 220.

I enter the room to see him hooked up to a bunch of machines. I ran to his side, instantly, and sat on his bed. I needed to know he was alright. I laid close to him, feeling his warmth and hearing his beautiful heartbeat.

I wrapped my arms around his body and lightly laid my head onto his chest, not daring to hurt him.

"God, I missed you." I whisper into his shirt as I clenched it in my hands.

In the silence, I exhaled in relief.

"I missed you too." A whisper entered my ear.

"Chris?" I look up to see his eyes were open and his cute smile was wide. "What are.... You weren't supposed to wake up for a couple of hours?" I said sitting up so I could see him.

"Well, I am more than people expected." He laughed at his joke. I laugh with emotion pure and my excitement present. I interrupted his laughter.

I leaned in suddenly and kissed him. I wanted to kiss him so bad, I needed this connection back. And when we kissed, I flashed back to the first time I had the courage to kiss him outside a scene. The passion, love, kind, and gentleness of his lips on mine. The spark that had me falling for him in the first place.

I finally backed off and looked deep into his blue eyes. He opened his arms.

"Come here." I lay down and he closes his arms around me. It just felt so right. To be here with him in this moment. I was beyond grateful to be in his arms again.