Chapter 18

Chris POV

"Chris!" I hear Melissa yell coming into the hospital waiting room. I stand and run to her. She's holding Allison, but I hug them both anyway, making sure to not crush either of them. I let go of them and look at them both, Allison cuddled in Melissa's arms, looking shyly up at me, and Melissa's face drenched in tears. I hold her face inside my hands and stay quiet.

After some time, I made a realization. Melissa, who was in a worst situation than Oliver, she survived, so knowing that, Oliver would be just fine, right? Oliver was strong and young and that gave him an advanced.

"He's going to be okay. Okay? He has to." I whisper to her and she smiles lightly. I take Allison out of her arms and cradle her on one side of my body while I wrap my other arm around Melissa guiding her to the couch.

We have been sitting there for hours with no update. All relatives have gathered now, and the only one who was missing is Chlyer, who was coming straight from work. Allison had finally calmed down and fell asleep curled in a ball on my lap, while Melissa stood in the entrance of the hallway, tensely straight.

The room contained only small whispers of conversation.

"Mel, come here." I say to her. She listens towards me. She sits beside me and leans her head on my shoulder. I wrap my arms round her and begin rubbing her back, trying to calm her down. She remains silent but relaxes slightly. "Get some sleep. The doctor said it could be a while." I whispered to her.

"No, Chris, I can't." She says with great desperation.

"Yes, you can, and I want you to." I kissed her forehead lightly. "Please. Just shut your eyes and fatigue will do the rest." I say brushing her hair out of her face, trying to soothe her into sleep.

"Wake me as soon as there is an update." She demands just before closing her eyes.

"Of course." I say kissing her forehead.

She fell asleep instantly. I gazed around the room while she slept. My mom and dad were across the room with coffee talking to Kirstin and Jessica. Melissa's parents were talking to Jeremy and they all kept looking from us to each other, unsure what to do or say. Melissa and I were secluded but I didn't mind it.

After a while, my dad comes up beside me and smiles lightly. His hand squeezes my shoulder.

"Do you need anything, son?" He asks whispering for only me to hear so he would not wake Allison nor Melissa.

"I'm okay, dad, thanks." I try to give him a smile back, but it's weak.

"He's going be okay. He is your son after all." He chuckles and laughs walking towards my mom again. I was hoping he was right. I needed to keep Melissa sane, so that meant I had to stay sane too. It was the only way.

I hear Allison fuss in my arms, and I hope she won't move to much because I only had one arm to steady her. And when her head rests against my chest and a small smile forms, I relax again. She calmed me down so easily.