Chapter 14

Chris POV

I walk through the door that night to Melissa in the kitchen cooking dinner. I feel my face falling down as I step closer to her. She turned to me as a big smile emerged on her face.

"How was your day, babe?" She says about to give me a kiss.

"Mel, we need to talk." My voice was serious as I start to walk toward the stairs. I see Oliver out of the corner of my eye with Allison. I continue to walk up the stairs.

"Oliver watch Allison for a couple minutes and yell if anything happens." I hear Mel say as she chases me down. We finally both arrive in our bedroom and I turn to face her. She looks worried and upset, and honestly, I hated telling her this.

"Chris, what is it?" She says stepping closer. I feel tears start to well up in my eyes.

"Melissa, they need me to go to Oregon." I told her straight up.

"Okay, for how long?" She said as if we could work it out.

"5 months." I said as my voice broke slightly.

"What?" Her breathlessness worried me.

"They said if I go to Oregon for this season then my contract with be extended for 2 more seasons."

"What did you say?"

"I said I had to think about it."

"What is there to think about?" She asks throwing her hands up, "Chris you can't go."

"But Mel I have to this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, not only that but we need this." I pleaded for her to understand

"No, we don't!" She didn't agree and I could tell as she grew increasingly angrier.

"Melissa we both know your paycheck was cut in half after your pregnancy. Your scenes have become fewer and this will probably be the last season." I take a deep breath and look down at my feet. I finally get the courage to look back up at her. "Melissa, we need this money."

"No, what we need is for both our children to have their father. HERE." She says sternly, she angry with me, but I feared if I gave up this job, another one with this paycheck and this stability wouldn't come.

"I don't want to go, Mel. You have to know that. I would rather be here. But....." I was at a loss for words.

"It doesn't seem like it." She scruffs angrily, throwing he hands up.

"Melissa, I am the one who needs to provide for this family. It's my responsibly!" She made it seem as if I liked leaving my family. I HATED IT! "I don't want anything to happen to you," I say as I step closer to her, feeling my anger subside, touching her face. "Or them."

"We can figure it out." She whispered in defeat.

"Can we?" I asked doubtful.

"We have made it this far; we can't give up now." Melissa said crying as she leaned her cheek into my hands. She looked up at me, broken and devasted. "I can't lose you."

With those words I knew what needed to be done.

"Okay, okay. I'm right here." I say as I pull her into a long hug. I then feel her head lean on my shoulder, as her tears seeped into my shirt. I rub her back and whisper to her, "I'll be here. I'll be right here. " I kissed her head brushing her hair out, "Always."