Chapter 9

Chris POV

I called everyone, but since it was 2:00am in the morning, I assumed no one was coming, which was fine the only one I ever needed was Mel.

I moved throughout the waiting room, looking at my watch every 5 minutes and then suddenly after what seemed like forever, I saw Doctor Shepard coming towards me. I couldn't help but run to him.

"Mr. Wood," He said as I stopped suddenly in front of him. "Melissa is out of surgery. She is breathing on her own." His hopeful words melted my heart.

"She's breathing on her own?" I whispered in disbelief as I felt a tear escape my eye.

"Yes." He smiled. "We don't know how, but she has made a miraculous recovery. We still are not over the hill, but we are close."

He laughed lightly, and I tried to listen but my mind was stuck on one fact: Melissa was breathing. "This recovery is very rare, but it must have been from the love of her husband," He chuckled tapping me lightly, snapping me into reality.

"So, she's okay? She's breathing? Brain function? The whole deal?" I stayed tensely still waiting for his response.

"Yes, all is good. The tests read that her brain is very active, she is breathing with no help from the ventilator, and everything seems a lot better than the past few days." He said and then starts to leave. He turns back to me quickly though, realizing something, "Oh and she should be awake soon." He smiled and then continued to walk. I felt myself start to sprint to her room, still in disbelief.

Allison was fusing in her crib, so I settled her down quickly, not being able to focus on anything but Mel. I put Allison down and run over to Melissa. I needed to do something; I just didn't know what.

I grab her hand. It's warm. For the first time in weeks she looked like a human and not a ghost. I stroked her face and her cheeks became pinker. I smiled knowing she was okay, she was finally going to return to me.

I felt my urge to be closer to her, so I leaned over and kissed her forehead. When I looked at her again, I saw those beautiful eyes. I felt my smile grow even bigger as if my face was ripping away. She was awake.

"Mel," I said trying not to overwhelm her, but I was beyond excited. She lifted her hand and put it against my face, and I closed my eyes so grateful and happy to feel her touch. I turned my head and kissed her hand.

She sat up and we both leaned in for a hug. I wanted to pick her up and spin her around, but I didn't want to hurt her, so I contained my excitement. She melted in my embrace, and I couldn't describe my happiness. When she pulled apart, she looked at me as if I was a dream.

"Chris?"

"Yeah." I whispered still not believing what I was seeing.

"It's you, really you?" She asked with tears running down her face.

"It's me." I smiled as she pulled me into a long passion filled kiss.

Hope y'all are happy :)