Chapter 20

Chris POV

I walk through the procedure and within a couple hours they have my bone marrow which I was told was enough for Oliver and enough to be tested. I walk through the hallway with the doctor and I look at him stopping short of Oliver's room.

"Alright, so we just sent it to the lab and should know the results in an hour." I smiled at him.

"Thank you." Shake his hand with compassion, overjoyed.

"Daddy!!" I hear a familiar voice yell from the hallway. I turn to see my beautiful baby girl come running towards me.

I pick her up and start walking towards Oliver's room. Then, Melissa comes into view as she enters the hallway. Her face changes from an upset expression to relieved one. I place Allison on the floor and walk up to Melissa, holding her close in my chest. She lays her head on my shoulder and I feel her squeezing me tightly.

"Where the hell have you been!" she exclaims, pushing me away. I let go of her and I realize I forgot to tell her about the doctor's information and the tests. Her expression is no longer compassionate, instead it's frustrated and angry.

"Oh, Mel..... Um" I say looking around and realizing Allison was standing near us. "Hey baby can you go sit with Oliver while me and mommy talk?" I ask her. She smiles and skips into Oliver's room.

I grab Melissa's hand and guide her farther down the hallway. I place her in a chair and sit next to her. She could tell something was off and she grew with fear.

I start from what is wrong with Oliver and continue to the bone marrow transplant. She gets crushed with every word; each word worse than the last. I wanted to protect her more than anything, but all I could do was comfort her.

We sat there for what seemed like hours, just sitting there. I held her as she seemed so broken, so out of this perfect fantasy of a family. I couldn't help. I couldn't even help myself. All I could do was given my bone marrow and that may not even be enough.

Melissa remained silent, noting saying a word about what happened or what I did. She just melted into my arms.

"You coming, mommy and daddy?" I heard a small voice say from the end of the hallway. I turn to see little Allison peaking her head outside Oliver's room and smiling softly as she squirmed around. Melissa lifted her head and I look back at her. She showed a small smile and got up to meet Allison at the door as they walked into Oliver's room. I followed close behind, trying to regain my composure.

I walked inside the door to see Oliver surrounded by nurses. I feel panic come over me, but then there's a hand that is placed on my shoulder. I turn quickly and see Dr. Val.

"What-what" I can't make the words, but she does them for me.

"Just keeping the fluids and ivies in check. No need to worry, Mr. Wood-"

"Chris" I correct her, still breathless.

"Well, Chris, another hour on the results of the bone marrow and then we'll know if you are a match." I see Melissa shoot an look at me as she continued to worry beside Oliver. I turn back to Dr. Val.

"What are the changes? That I'm not a match?" I ask her hoping for good news, but her expression didn't give me hope.

"Uh Mr.- Chris, we wouldn't know. We'll have to wait, I'm sorry." She slowly backs away.

"Thank you." I give a slight nod and walk back into the room and sit next to my girls. Melissa was shaking slightly, and Allison wouldn't leave the nurses alone. I grab Melissa's hand and squeeze it three times. The nurses slowly exit one by one. Melissa and I both stand as the last one walks away from Oliver.

"How you doing, buddy?" I ask him as Melissa brushes his hair our out his face.

"I could be better, dad." Mel kisses him on the forehead and continues to brush his hair.

"That's my boy." Iforce a smile, but I just feel crushed. This causes him and Allison to laughwith joy, but it brought Mel and I nothing of the kind. I tried to focus on Oliver,the good things, not the features that made me fear. That he was indeed dying.